Peugeot 407SW Diesel probs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Fella`s ,

Looking for a bit of guidance , Just bought this 54 Plate 2.0HDI (80k) off an independant Dealer , Got a couple of problems with it , Took it for a run at Weekend all fine on the way out (100 miles m-way) , but on returning after about 80 miles got a Dignostics light on the Dash plus two warnings on the Cntre Screen - 1 Depollution system faulty and 2-Speed Control system faulty , at this time it also went into "Limp" mode and was only revving to 2000rpm-ish , Took it back the next day and he had a local Garage look at it and he thought he had sorted it , by cleaning a sensor to clear the Depollution problems , but the Speed problem still happens intermittently , The Deealer has booked it into the Main Agent in Stockport tomorrow to hopefully clear it up ..... any clues anybody ?

When fixed I`ll update on here
PS Is this a common problem with this Model ??

Lucky

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the purge valve is faulty.

Hello Fellas , Thought I`d pop on here with the update , They did the Diagnostic Test and found a Pressure Valve on the Exhaust was blocked , replaced same and all fine now , Apparently this gets blocked up if its only used around Town so to speak

So thanks to Damien at www.nextcar4.co.uk true to his word he got it sorted out

Result !

Lucky

Sponsored Links
Presumably thats the EGR valve that you are talking about.
Thanks for the update.
John :)

I think the HDi have a pressure sensor that is in parallel with the particulate filter. If there is to much of a difference in pressure between before and after the filter is clogged. Management light comes on.

Does that make sense Burnweman?

It certainly does, Mr Mursal.....I've had a few of these Hdi's in with 'pollution control fault' displaying on the dash - although they have not been in get you home mode, and performance has been unaffected.
I believe - but I have no direct experience - that there is a tank with Eloys fluid somewhere which is injected directly into the exhaust when the particulate filter is blocking up, and this gives it a good clean. Vehicles which are driven hard are self cleaning.
Can you comment on this?

Yes John,
I think there is a small tank in the top of the fuel tank. It seems to be a cheap way for the manufacturers to get around the low emission requirements. Instead of exhaust gas recirculation.

It leaves a good little earner for the main dealers around the 70 to 80K mileage mark? :evil:

Noel

there is a tank with Eloys fluid somewhere which is injected directly into the exhaust when the particulate filter is blocking up, and this gives it a good clean. :)

The Eolys fluid is injected into the diesel at fillup time. The Ecu calculates how much fuel has been taken on board and injects the correct amount of Eolys. There are two pressure sensors in the FAP, one at each end. When the reading between the two reaches reaches a certain level, the Ecu signals the start of regeneration - usually every 300 miles or so. When all the Eolys has been used up -usually around 100K in the later cars - the FAP can no longer regenerate, so it shows on the central display a blockage, and it puts the engine in to 'limp' mode. It's no good just filling the Eolys tank - that won't work. The Ecu needs to be reset to zero with a Citroen Lexia or Peugeot Planet machine.

I'll second that thanks.....a few questions?
So - how is the eolys tank filled?
Presumably the particle filter is before the cat?
If there is an eolys system, does that mean no EGR? I would have thought that this gives the turbo a hard time.

So - how is the eolys tank filled?
Presumably the particle filter is before the cat?
If there is an eolys system, does that mean no EGR? :)

The Eolys tank is above the n/s back wheel, close to the fuel tank. A heat shield needs to be removed and the tank can be lowered by means of removing two bolts. A 4 ltr kit of fluid and filling tubes can be had for an eye-watering 120quid. The cat is before the filter and in the same unit, but the filter can be unbolted and the cerine ash which eventually blocks it can be pressure washed out. The dealers will tell you it needs replacing!. And yes there is EGR.

Some guys remove the FAP altogether then rewrite the software in the ECU so that it doesn't look for information from the sensors. Also the Eolys isn't needed.

You are a definite fount of information and thanks so much for your time!
What is this 'blue something' additive thats for sale at service stations?
Can you give me any info on that?

Eolys fluid is developed and manufactured by Rhodia Chemicals solely for Citroen/Peugeot - which I guess is why they can charge such exorbitant prices for it. Adblue is a similar fluid used by Mercedes. Other makes of diesel engines show a warning light when the filter is getting full and an extra amount of diesel fuel is injected so as to create the necessary heat to burn off the soot. At the same time, an even speed must be maintained for 30 or so miles. Failure means the extra diesel ends up in the sump - with dire results.

Once again - many thanks!
I wonder how well these 'regeneration' systems work....clearly they must dump some nasties into the air, just like the engine would in the first place....

Exhaust Gas Re-circulation re-routes a controlled amount of exhaust gases back into the engine air intake. This lowers the combustion temp due to lower Oxygen content. The exhaust has more soot and needs a particulate filter that gets blocked with soot. Regeneration process burns the soot in the particulate filter to ash which takes up less space in the filter. On the Peugeot 407 HDI diesel Eoyles fluid is added to fuel in a controlled amount from a separate storage tank, fluid can last 100,000 miles (3 to 4 litres) and ends up in the particulate filter, it has a lower combustion point than the ash so when a regen takes place it helps light up the soot and turn it to ash. The particulate filter will eventually need cleaning depends on duty cycle of vehicle. Not good in inner city, it likes the open road. Adblue completely different, engine is allowed to perform as it should, higher normal combustion temp in cylinders therefore NOX is formed (Nitrogen and Oxygen from the atmosphere combined creating greenhouse gas). Adblue is injected into the exhaust where it vaporises and reacts releasing Ammonia gas, this reacts with Nox and pulls it apart. Leaving Nitrogen and Water. Both systems deal with Nox and particulates meeting statuatory requirement. Completely different systems. Only use the right fluids for the right system or serious damage can occur to engine systems. As legislation gets tighter both systems may be employed on the same engine. It is already in the diesel truck market.

Sponsored Links
Back