new stud wall in bathroom for shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I have a job where i need to create stud walls box old pipes in and to also install a new shower enclosure.
I have some questions
I have always used timber for stud walls but am really curious about metal studding. is it any good.

Also, i am using moisture proof boards all the way round but will that be sufficient for the shower area as im tiling it.

sorry to sound dumb but what is tanking?

Vinny

Sponsored Links
I have always used timber for stud walls but am really curious about metal studding. is it any good.
Too much hassle & absolutely no advantage for what your doing.
Also, i am using moisture proof boards all the way round but will that be sufficient for the shower area as im tiling it.
Use only waterproof tile backer boards in wet areas, if you use PB even MR then tank it. Much misunderstood is that waterproof tile adhesive & grout is only water proof in the sense that it won’t dissolve when wet; it still absorbs water & is why the tile base must be either waterproof or tanked in wet areas.
sorry to sound dumb but what is tanking?
It’s something you do to waterproof a non waterproof base such as plasterboard.

hi i have recently replaced an old stud wall shower cubical that a cowboy had put in with plasterboard. Needless to say within three months of moving in the water had penetrated the plasterboard and started to leak through the cealing below. I retained the existing timber stud wall but replace the plasterboard with auqa board. I used a good quality water proof adhersive for the new tiles. I have two teenage kids who are in the shower constantly and three months later there isnt a single sign of water ingress. So providing you use decent materials you will be fine.

ok cool. thanks for the information.

I could do with a bit more info on tanking. will i need to do this if i am using waterproof tile backer boards?

Sponsored Links
I could do with a bit more info on tanking. will i need to do this if i am using waterproof tile backer boards?
Not in a normal shower enclosure or around a bath, that's the whole idea. You would only need to additionally tank the seams if constructing a wet room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back