DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

3phase and neutral

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Christhescott

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:46 pm Reply with quote

Hi, Im looking for some connection diagrams/pictures of 3phase and neutral motor start/stop connections, would anyone in here have any links I could have a look at? I have tried google with little avail.

Thankyou!
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
ban-all-sheds

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:54 pm Reply with quote

I don't think that 3-Ph motors have a neutral do they?

There might be one to the controls, but not to the actual motor.
 Alert Moderators
Spark123

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:09 am Reply with quote

As the motor is a ballanced 3 phase load there is no need for a neutral, however a neutral may be used in the control side if it is 230v. The control side may be any voltage sufficient to drive a contactor i.e. common size contactors I come across are 24v, 48v, 110v, 230v and 400v.
What type of motor control are you talking about, direct on line (DOL)? If so there is a similar diagram here:

As you don't need the neutral ignore the neutral contact at the bottom, the normally closed contacts on the left hand side are stop buttons.
 Alert Moderators
IJWS15

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:52 am Reply with quote

Try googling delta star wiring
 Alert Moderators
bernardgreen

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:15 am Reply with quote

ban-all-sheds wrote:
I don't think that 3-Ph motors have a neutral do they?

Some motors that run in Star mode do have a "neutral" connection to the star point. Its purposes more often than not is provide a means to detect faults and /or unbalances in the three phase windings while the motor is running.
 Alert Moderators
Christhescott

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:17 pm Reply with quote

Yes its a DOl starter. The manual says It needs a neutral, I can't remember off the top of my head what its for but I think its an air brake. Aswell as the 3 cables going away to the motor it has a two core flex. Its a second hand machine and it looks like the starter is not standard. I wanted a picture as Im not sure if the neutral should go into the top and through the contactor aswell as the 3 phase supply.
 Alert Moderators
PrinceofDarkness

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:45 pm Reply with quote

"Some motors that run in Star mode do have a "neutral" connection to the star point"...................

I'd like you to give me an example of such a motor, 'bernard', where the star link is connected to the supply neutral. I've been dealing with rotating machines since the early 60's and I've never come across such a ridiculous situation as that. Don't you realise the implications of doing such a thing?

It's certainly true in some circumstances that a lead is taken from the star position of the motor terminal block for monitoring purposes - but that type of connection is never connected to the supply neutral.

Getting back to the O/P: I'd say that the DOL starter needs a neutral simply because the hold-in coil is 230 Volt - as they often are. But this doesn't mean that that neutral has to be taken to the motor itself......

Lucia.
 Alert Moderators
ELZ4742

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:53 pm Reply with quote

A three phase motor does not need a neutral because it has two 'phase' leads running it at any given point in time. The electricity comes in on one phase lead and goes out on the other phase lead.
 Alert Moderators
PrinceofDarkness

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:16 pm Reply with quote

The O/P, Chris-the-Scot, hasn't actually implied that the motor itself needs a neutral. He's surely on about the control circuit of the starter and perhaps, the wiring of remote start/stop buttons.

This seems to me to be a bog-standard arrangement, and I'm rather surprised that he can't find any 'Googlese' for such a plain task.

Lucia.
 Alert Moderators
Christhescott

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:49 pm Reply with quote

PrinceofDarkness wrote:
"Some motors that run in Star mode do have a "neutral" connection to the star point"...................

I'd like you to give me an example of such a motor, 'bernard', where the star link is connected to the supply neutral. I've been dealing with rotating machines since the early 60's and I've never come across such a ridiculous situation as that. Don't you realise the implications of doing such a thing?

It's certainly true in some circumstances that a lead is taken from the star position of the motor terminal block for monitoring purposes - but that type of connection is never connected to the supply neutral.

Getting back to the O/P: I'd say that the DOL starter needs a neutral simply because the hold-in coil is 230 Volt - as they often are. But this doesn't mean that that neutral has to be taken to the motor itself......

Lucia.

Thanks for your help. As you can tell Im not as familier as I would like to be with motor control. I dont think the neutral is for the coil, I think the neutral is for something to do with dust extraction and I think the saw motor will work without the neutral connected. The neutral does not go to the motor itself but it is terminated inside the starter.
 Alert Moderators
ban-all-sheds

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:51 am Reply with quote

Christhescott wrote:
I think the neutral is for something to do with dust extraction.

Could be a single-phase extractor.

I believe that sometimes motors have single-phase anti-condensation heaters.

Or as others have also said, single-phase components in the control systems.
 Alert Moderators
bernardgreen

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:55 am Reply with quote

PrinceofDarkness wrote:
I'd like you to give me an example of such a motor, 'bernard', where the star link is connected to the supply neutral. I've been dealing with rotating machines since the early 60's and I've never come across such a ridiculous situation as that. Don't you realise the implications of doing such a thing?,

I cannot remember the manufacturers part numbers of the motors I have seen with the star point bought out as a monitoring access for the control system. Hence the " and " round the word neutral.

Quote:
but that type of connection is never connected to the supply neutral.
I didn't say it was.

I can recall one production line where the 4 or 5 main conveyor drive motors did have their star points commoned up but not connected to the main neutral supply. Something to do with reducing slip to an acceptable level.
 Alert Moderators
mikhailfaradayski

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:36 am Reply with quote

Chris-T-S,

as others have said, the neutral is most probably required for the coil in the start/stop gubbins.

It may also be the case that the 2 core flex you refer to is a thermistor or other thermal device. If it is (which you need to find out) then it should be included in the control wiring
 Alert Moderators
sparkyy

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:26 pm Reply with quote

The two core flex is probably a thermistor which should be incorporated into the stop circuit. It's purpose is to stop the motor if it overheats.
 Alert Moderators
ricicle

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:29 pm Reply with quote

sparkyy wrote:
The two core flex is probably a thermistor which should be incorporated into the stop circuit.

Via a suitable thermistor relay.....
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Electrics UK All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: