3phase and neutral

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Im looking for some connection diagrams/pictures of 3phase and neutral motor start/stop connections, would anyone in here have any links I could have a look at? I have tried google with little avail.

Thankyou!

Sponsored Links
I don't think that 3-Ph motors have a neutral do they?

There might be one to the controls, but not to the actual motor.

As the motor is a ballanced 3 phase load there is no need for a neutral, however a neutral may be used in the control side if it is 230v. The control side may be any voltage sufficient to drive a contactor i.e. common size contactors I come across are 24v, 48v, 110v, 230v and 400v.
What type of motor control are you talking about, direct on line (DOL)? If so there is a similar diagram here:
As you don't need the neutral ignore the neutral contact at the bottom, the normally closed contacts on the left hand side are stop buttons.

Sponsored Links
I don't think that 3-Ph motors have a neutral do they?

Some motors that run in Star mode do have a "neutral" connection to the star point. Its purposes more often than not is provide a means to detect faults and /or unbalances in the three phase windings while the motor is running.

Yes its a DOl starter. The manual says It needs a neutral, I can't remember off the top of my head what its for but I think its an air brake. Aswell as the 3 cables going away to the motor it has a two core flex. Its a second hand machine and it looks like the starter is not standard. I wanted a picture as Im not sure if the neutral should go into the top and through the contactor aswell as the 3 phase supply.

"Some motors that run in Star mode do have a "neutral" connection to the star point"...................

I'd like you to give me an example of such a motor, 'bernard', where the star link is connected to the supply neutral. I've been dealing with rotating machines since the early 60's and I've never come across such a ridiculous situation as that. Don't you realise the implications of doing such a thing?

It's certainly true in some circumstances that a lead is taken from the star position of the motor terminal block for monitoring purposes - but that type of connection is never connected to the supply neutral.

Getting back to the O/P: I'd say that the DOL starter needs a neutral simply because the hold-in coil is 230 Volt - as they often are. But this doesn't mean that that neutral has to be taken to the motor itself......

Lucia.

A three phase motor does not need a neutral because it has two 'phase' leads running it at any given point in time. The electricity comes in on one phase lead and goes out on the other phase lead.

The O/P, Chris-the-Scot, hasn't actually implied that the motor itself needs a neutral. He's surely on about the control circuit of the starter and perhaps, the wiring of remote start/stop buttons.

This seems to me to be a bog-standard arrangement, and I'm rather surprised that he can't find any 'Googlese' for such a plain task.

Lucia.

"Some motors that run in Star mode do have a "neutral" connection to the star point"...................

I'd like you to give me an example of such a motor, 'bernard', where the star link is connected to the supply neutral. I've been dealing with rotating machines since the early 60's and I've never come across such a ridiculous situation as that. Don't you realise the implications of doing such a thing?

It's certainly true in some circumstances that a lead is taken from the star position of the motor terminal block for monitoring purposes - but that type of connection is never connected to the supply neutral.

Getting back to the O/P: I'd say that the DOL starter needs a neutral simply because the hold-in coil is 230 Volt - as they often are. But this doesn't mean that that neutral has to be taken to the motor itself......

Lucia.

Thanks for your help. As you can tell Im not as familier as I would like to be with motor control. I dont think the neutral is for the coil, I think the neutral is for something to do with dust extraction and I think the saw motor will work without the neutral connected. The neutral does not go to the motor itself but it is terminated inside the starter.

I think the neutral is for something to do with dust extraction.
Could be a single-phase extractor.

I believe that sometimes motors have single-phase anti-condensation heaters.

Or as others have also said, single-phase components in the control systems.

I'd like you to give me an example of such a motor, 'bernard', where the star link is connected to the supply neutral. I've been dealing with rotating machines since the early 60's and I've never come across such a ridiculous situation as that. Don't you realise the implications of doing such a thing?,

I cannot remember the manufacturers part numbers of the motors I have seen with the star point bought out as a monitoring access for the control system. Hence the " and " round the word neutral.

but that type of connection is never connected to the supply neutral.
I didn't say it was.

I can recall one production line where the 4 or 5 main conveyor drive motors did have their star points commoned up but not connected to the main neutral supply. Something to do with reducing slip to an acceptable level.

Chris-T-S,

as others have said, the neutral is most probably required for the coil in the start/stop gubbins.

It may also be the case that the 2 core flex you refer to is a thermistor or other thermal device. If it is (which you need to find out) then it should be included in the control wiring

The two core flex is probably a thermistor which should be incorporated into the stop circuit. It's purpose is to stop the motor if it overheats.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back