Two master BT sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible to have two mater telephone outlets

I have the overhead cable comming in, and would like to split it in two master BT sockets

one is a temporary and will be taken away later one, and one will be the new one

so can i have two master sockets

Thanks

Sponsored Links
One phone line, one master

Two phone lines, two masters

That's why they are Masters

Master + Extension + Extension + etc etc

Hi mcluma,
it's not advised to have 2 masters as you then have 2 capacitors in circuit but depending on your exchange line it usually will work OK.
If you have too many phones in circuit you might have a problem with the bells not ringing properly and you might have a problem with broadband so try it and see.
Sometimes we had to do this if there was no way to get a cable back from the existing master socket and we never had a problem

Tony ( 30 years in Telecoms)

hi there..... thought I might add to the convo...

I agree with Europlex. There is really only meant to be one master socket! Try and run an extension from there if that is possible.

If it is only a temporary point then presumably you dont have to worry too much about hiding the cable.

Your broadband will suffer I would have thought as a result of having two master sockets.

:LOL:

Sponsored Links
If you only run one pair from the first master to the second "master" using only wires 2 and 5 then the capacitor in the first master is effectively not in circuit as it connects to telephones via wire 3.

The first master MUST be the standard NTE 5 with the original non filtered front plate fitted.

There is a high impedance resistor fitted for line testing purposes but it will not have a significant effect on either the speech or the broadband signal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back