US device on UK lighting circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a GE58420 Light-sensing timer, capable of switching a light on at dusk and off at a pre-set time. Unfortunately it was purchased in the US and is therefore 120V AC. Can I safely use this on a UK lighting circuit?

If the answer is no, does anyone know of anything similar available in the UK the device sits between the light fitting and the lamp - I know of on-at-dusk, off-at-dawn devices, they don't fit the bill.

Sponsored Links
Can I safely use this on a UK lighting circuit?
Of course not.

If the answer is no, does anyone know of anything similar available in the UK the device sits between the light fitting and the lamp - I know of on-at-dusk, off-at-dawn devices, they don't fit the bill.
Do you want it to go off at an actual time, or after it's been on for a certain length of time?

The latter is fairly standard - don't know of the former, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

the device sits between the light fitting and the lamp

150607HBO111111X.jpg

Sponsored Links
>Do you want it to go off at an actual time, or after it's been on for a certain length of time? The latter is fairly standard - don't know of the former, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

On at dusk (time varies), off at set time - so that it comes on as darkness falls and goes off at, say, 22:00. This seems to me to be the best set up for a property that is empty (eg: holidays), where a motion sensor is not appropriate.

GE don't make a UK version of the device I have.

Thanks (to ban-all-sheds,) for the picture of a possible device. It could be what I am looking for, but doesn't have a URL :(

Thanks (to ban-all-sheds,) for the picture of a possible device. It could be what I am looking for, but doesn't have a URL :(
That one doesn't do the switching off you want.

It wasn't a suggestion - it was a reply to stunlawless, highlighting the fact that you were looking for something which goes into the light fitting.

This doesn't fit between the fitting & the lamp and needs programming to switch on & off, but is this any good to you?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Day-Timer-D...001T7YL6M/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt/276-4973126-7447760
No good if your existing switch is 2 gang though.

Thanks for the link, from that I found an answer:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Timer-with-Photocell-Wall-Switch/dp/B002X8A4I0/ref=pd_sim_ce_3

Trouble is the existing switch is bronze-finish 3-gang! One that goes twixt fitting and lamp is really what I need. (I wonder why GE don't make a UK version of the one I have!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back