problem when applying silicone with the correct tool

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I thought I was doing it all correctly, cleaned the area, applied the silicone, squirted it with soapy water and then ran a silicone tool over it to get a smooth finish. BUT the end result is the face of the silicone looks snagged/ rough, what went wrong?

Sponsored Links
It's usually a good idea to put masking tape above and below. It is also easier to use a wet finger than the tool.

K

I thought I was doing it all correctly, cleaned the area, applied the silicone, squirted it with soapy water and then ran a silicone tool over it to get a smooth finish. BUT the end result is the face of the silicone looks snagged/ rough, what went wrong?

You did not tool it quick enough, or you used too much water, or you used the wrong tool, or you used cheap silicone.

Any chance of a bit more detail?

soapy water??? use washing up liquid in a spray bottle to spray the silicone once applied but make sure before you start the area is dry, to finish off also spray the tool or your finger with the washing up liquid then smooth it off. works every time :D

Sponsored Links
thanks for the responses, the silicone was expensive, the water did have washing up liquid in it, the silicone tools came in a set from screwfix, I was using the 8mm bead option, the area was bone dry when I squeezed out the silicone. I like the suggestion of taking too long Adrian cos it took me a few minutes to sqeeze the run before I went back and sprayed n tooled it, I didn't realise you had to be a bit rapid when tooling it........tell me more

Was it defo silicone, or that a acrylic Shiite you can get?

Edit I've used it's and it's horrible to work with.

I have had it happen once when i was not quick enough to tool the silicone, exact same thing, that's why i mentioned it.

You say expensive, what was it exactly, i mean make not price.

It is unibond antistain hygenic kitchen sealant 35 yr guarantee and about £10! in black

It's definately silicone...............acrylic don't smell like vinegar n acrylic is a lot denser

aah. The age old question of how to get the perfect silicone bead. I've been trying for years and still haven't mastered it. I tend to use fugenboy tool like yours, It's quite helpful to apply the initial bead from the applicator gun, quickly and accurately . I cut the nozzle at 90° and push rather than pull the gun (controversial) . I don't use liquid, just run the smoothing tool over the bead quickly, then wet finger very quick and light. I never use CT1 or simular for this kind of work. I'm not saying this is the correct way of doing things, but it seems to work for me. good luck.

I use this

Always get an excellent finish,no soapy water or sticky fingers.Put the bead in then finish with the tool.only one run at a time,have a roll of kitchen towel handy not to clean the tool but to contain my excitement at quality finish. :LOL:

Good one Lance......................funnily enough, I was gettin all orgasmic before I started the job thinking I'd done me research n got 'all the bases covered'! ain't it funny how there's always another wrinkle that you hadn't forseen! Whenever I look at the shocking job I've made, I have to say 'stop being anal n go n find something else to do'...... but it's funny how the eyes seem magically drawn back to the scene of the crime :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back