Sealing external wall to keep out rodents

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a hole where electrical cable penetrates the wall at the front of house, which is allowing rodents through. What can I use to block up this hole? I've thought of cement; expanding foam; and silicone sealant – but I'm worried about damaging the electrical cable. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Of the three substances you mention, expanding foam may react ( not sure of exact chemical make-up) with PVC coating, also uncertain if rodents will eat silicone.

Suggest concrete and possibly also a section of metal-mesh as used for re-inforcing plaster if you have any available as those bloody rodents are amazingly adaptable.

Thanks MW. Concrete was my first thought; but I got worried about using water around electrical cable, and thought there might be a safer option. The cable has also been slightly gnawed at by the mice – which I need to tackle too.

Sponsored Links
Assuming it is a PVC-coated cable it is certainly water-proof as far as exposure to concrete is concerned.

To prevent rodent attack, you could put your cable in either flexible or rigid electrical- conduit, depending on the run

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back