Yale 6200 Alarm Interference

As for the panic feature.
You have to hold the button down for 3 seconds to activate an alarm by panic mode.

Not good if the intruder is face to face and knocks the fob out of the person's hand before the three seconds has elapsed. A non replacable "rip cord" would be far better.

But this still doesn't explain the apparent link to the vacuum cleaner.
The problem is that the OP has left the dip switch (1) in the wrong position.
Your post suggests this is the "enable learn" switch ! !. has the siren learn to see the vacuum cleaner a sensor ? That is highly unlikely, it is technically 99.9999% impossible.

Sponsored Links
Question to YaleGuy3 As the keyfob has a panic button does it have a more frequent "I am here" message to the panel than the other sensors ? If so then maybe the vacuum cleaner is running long enough to prevent ( by intereference ) the panel hearing the " I am here" messages and thus the panel/siren is going into alarm believing it has lost a panic button. If the vacuum cleaner is blocking signals to the panel/siren then the alarm is rendered useless in the vacuum cleaner is running when the intruders intrude.

Wouldn't this also be the case if the fobs were removed from site though?

I wouldn't expect the "system" to require key fobs to send "I am still here" messages as they are not a critical part of the system and are expected to be taken away from the protected site in normal use.

But if the key fob contains a panic button then it should be considered as a critical part of the system and should have it's absence or failure detected.

Bit of a contradiction in operational requirements.

No remote panic buttons/fobs ATM are two way.
How could you have one when it is also used as a set/unset device, and taken away from the property in question?

Man down systems are the opposite and are monitored either on site or remotely. But a different kettle of fish entirely.

YG3 you state that you know nothing about an item of your favoured system.
Rather scary really. I would have thought you knew everything about such a limited variety of systems ( see. called them systems).
I/WE have to be on top of our game, be able to work on and diagnose ( generally user misuse) over the phone or remotely.
Do Yale have IP interrogation yet? Remote camera viewing? Voice conformation?
Only asking, before others get defensive.

Sponsored Links
Man down systems are the opposite and are monitored either on site or remotely. But a different kettle of fish entirely.
In the 1980's one of my projects was developing Lone Worker safety systems based on ( reliable ) radio paging and talk back equipment.

A push button on a ( dubious ) radio system was not acceptable. The same should apply to panic buttons otherwise they are not much use in ensuring help is summoned. And if the siren sounding as for an intruder is the only way to alert other people to the panic situation then it is virtually useless as people often ignore the alarm. Perhaps if the siren sounded a very distintive sound for "panic" then neighbours may react when they wouldn't necessarily react to an instrusion alarm.

YG3 you state that you know nothing about an item of your favoured system.
That is worrying as it makes it very difficult to predict what will happen in non standard situations.

Bernard, as I said "man down" is a very particular and precise subject.
Some might laugh at us when we discuss "security" but they do not appreciate the total umbrella we encompass.

We do not as indicated many times fit wired systems because we want the maximum profit. We do fit wireless as suitable. We fit locks and other physical devices as required by insurance companies and from experience.

The ( might as well go for it) people that dive in here and try to make out we overcharge and do nothing have no idea of the overall spectrum we work in ands the RULES we have to abide by.
Some of the same people will fit and install items that even contravene the laws applicable ( See the electrical thread here). We do not. We do as insurance companies dictate, and with experience assist in risk management.

So, and sorry to go on. We as in the security industry know our business and really do not need anal people to try and demise us.
Also look at the free advice some here give, when we could just give out phone numbers for an engineer to attend. Some here do actually care enough to not make money from advice.

Your post suggests this is the "enable learn" switch ! !. has the siren learn to see the vacuum cleaner a sensor ? That is highly unlikely, it is technically 99.9999% impossible.

Nope I never said dip switch 1 was the enable learn switch.

Dip switch 1 toggles what the enable learn button does.

ie with dip switch one off when you press the learn button you can then enrol devices until they are all in the system , you then press the learn button again to take the system out of learn mode.

dip switch 1 is used for clearing the system memory and settings.
You switch dip switch 1 on and then press the learn button , you then switch dip switch 1 back off again.
You do this with the power off to clear any residual memory settings too.

As for the panic button feature.
Yale have certain methods to do this.

panic buttons that wall mount
panic buttons on the keyfobs
the ability on keypads and control panels to instigate a panic alarm using dedicated buttons or keys.

With a 6300 or 6400 system the fault log will show any devices that either have low batteries or drop from the system.

with a 6200 system you will know if the panic buttons are failing as they are also the devices used to set and unset the system. Therefore if your keyfob or keypad no longer sets or unsets the system then your panic alarm isn't going to work either.

As for alarms comments about me not knowing how the panic button works.
How does that affect my ability to install or advise?

As long as the user knows how it works thats all that is needed.

As for alarms comments about me not knowing how the panic button works.
How does that affect my ability to install or advise?

OmG, how on earth can you admit to something like that?

I suppose you also sell ice to Inuits?

Nope I never said dip switch 1 was the enable learn switch.
It sounded a bit like that.

Therefore if your keyfob or keypad no longer sets or unsets the system then your panic alarm isn't going to work either.
Once again it is up to the owner to do routine checks on the system to ensure it will work when needed. It appears once again that there is no automatic system integrity testing function for use in a critical situation.

No it is NOT all that is needed, the user needs to know all the circumstances he or she has prevent from happening if the system is to work reliably when it is needed to act.

Now it's getting a little muddled, certainly based on this.
Hi I think you have just highlighted the problem to me.

reading from the top to the bottom your dip switch settings should be as follows.

(4) to the left
(3) to the right
(2) to the right
(1) to the right

If what I have read is correct in your previous post you have
switch (1) to the left!

It should not be to the left in normal use it should only be to the left while you use the learn button to clear the system.

You should only have the top dip switch (4) to the left.

This explains your spurious activations.

You need to put switch (1) to the left but beware your system will usually activate when you do this as the first sensor sends a signal in so be ready with your fob to press the disarm button.

Now it's getting a little muddled, certainly based on this.
Hi I think you have just highlighted the problem to me.

reading from the top to the bottom your dip switch settings should be as follows.

(4) to the left
(3) to the right
(2) to the right
(1) to the right

If what I have read is correct in your previous post you have
switch (1) to the left!

It should not be to the left in normal use it should only be to the left while you use the learn button to clear the system.

You should only have the top dip switch (4) to the left.

This explains your spurious activations.

You need to put switch (1) to the left but beware your system will usually activate when you do this as the first sensor sends a signal in so be ready with your fob to press the disarm button.
Alumni is quite correct the LAST setting mentioned I should have said right!!! so it matches the instructions on the top.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back