Phone line configuration help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well we have had some restoration to our house, and the terminal box has been replaced in the process, but ever since this has happened the internet and phone line has been different, there are many internet disconnections, and using the phone will disconnect the internet (like Dail-up) i was wondering if you could help me find out if it is connected properly or not, and what the correct connection should be.

The left hand side is the phone line in (Orange, white, black and green) and the right hand side is the extended wires (black, red, yellow and green)

4Iysl.jpg

Sponsored Links
for one thing the white wire has not been pressed fully home.

Without checking I believe that connector is not the correct one for drop wire IDC connections,

The red and black wires come from flat ribbon flexible cable and is multi-stranded, that cannot be connected using IDC connections. ( well it can be but the connections will be poor and very un-reliable )

Flat ribbon is not twisted pair and is not suitable for fixed internal wiring.

I have never seen drop wire ( which is the property of BT or Openreach ) connected to a terminal block loose on furniture.

Looks like a real bodge by someone who has little knowledge.

And of course in the terms of your contract with the service provider only Openreach technicians are allowed to work on drop wires.

Almost forgot

The incoming drop wire MUST be terminated in an approved NTE ( Network Termination Equipment ) such as an NTE 5 or other master socket and these are also the property of Openreach or your service provider.

Thank you for the information, what do you think the reccomended approach should be to get it fixed?

Sponsored Links
Strip the wires, twist them together and then use a block type connector and screw them down. With two different type of cables this is your best option. Not to the book but OK. If you still have problems looking at the state of the wiring there may be poor connections elsewhere

Strip the wires, twist them together and then use a block type connector and screw them down.

That is NOT the best option for several reasons. The main reason is that over time that method of joining can give rise to electrical noise that interferes with conversations.

Buy an PBX-NTE5 http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters-faceplates.htm

http://www.solwise.co.uk/downloads/files/adsl-around-the-home.pdf

There are other suppliers of non BT NTE 5 equipment

Problem is that is not a NTE5 connection just a junction box, also the none conforming coloured cable may not be good for an IDC connector. But I would agree with you start again with the correct cable and boxes, you can be sure then it will work properly.

The black cable is almost definately the BT drop wire. Two pair (orange+white and green+black) and three steel support strands (yellow).

It is very likely that the connection (?) in the photo is the end of the drop wire and that is where the NTE 5 should be fitted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back