Plaster Waste bad for garden?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Calling all knowledgable gardeners or plasterers!

I've got a rennovation project on and the plasterers have chucked their waste at the end of each day in the garden on the lawn. I think it's basically from cleaning their buckets out. There is now a big patch of plastery sludge stretching over about 2x1 meters.

I was going to lay new turf down and was wondering whether..

a) I could just turn the plaster waste into the soil and give it all a good rake to level the garden, then lay down new turf.

Or,

b) Whether the plaster waste is toxic and needs to actually be dug up and disposed of elsewhere.

Thanks in advance, Bernard.

PS. Have been a lurker on these boards for a while and I really appreciate the work put in, its a great community.

Sponsored Links
I was going to lay new turf down and was wondering whether..

a) I could just turn the plaster waste into the soil and give it all a good rake to level the garden, then lay down new turf.

Or,

b) Whether the plaster waste is toxic and needs to actually be dug up and disposed of elsewhere.

I think you're fine with (a).
Topic has come up before, and the consensus seemed it was not harmful, and possibly even of some benefit!

I'm certainly not green fingered but the plasterer that did my house disposed of the 'sludge' in the corner of my garden a few years back. All I did was dig it over and strangely enough that area seems to be where the plants grow best (might be down to the type of plant but don't ask me about that :confused: ). Grass is pretty hardy so I imagine it will be fine, as DIYnewbee99 suggests.

Great, thanks for your responses.

Sounds like the plasterers out there should be bagging their end of day sludge and selling it as fertiliser! ;)

Bernard.

Sponsored Links
plaster rubble is good on a clay soil, as it coagulates it into crumbs, and makes it less heavy.

The lumps of plaster will break down in time, due to being wet, but if you can break it up or dig it in, so much the better. I throw mine on the compost heap, and it mixes in when turned.

Gypsum

Some gardeners swear by adding gypsum to the soil. This works by inserting itself between the clay particles (aggregation actually). The recommendation is to add 20 to 30 pounds per 100 square feet to establish a new garden and a yearly topup thereafter of 50 pounds per 1000 square feet. Gypsum does not change the pH of the soil so it is safe to use around the acid-lovers like Rhododendrons. Gypsum is a “hydrated” product and you may have trouble finding it in garden centers. Go to a home building store and purchase “pure” builders plaster. Make sure it has nothing in it other than plaster (some contain cement). It is not hydrated but it will work just the same.

Note that simply “spreading” the gypsum isn’t going to do anything. You have to dig this stuff into the soil so it will mix with the clay particles. Ah, digging. Here's that word again - and you can't get away from it in clay soil gardening.

Read more: http://www.beginner-gardening.com/claysoilgardening.html#ixzz1SrdAWck7

Plaster is alkaline so will affect the soil in a similar way to lime, won't harm it as such . I rang BG tech line last year on this issue - it is not a 'contaminant' as such

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back