Fitting new consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to fit a new consumer unit, but how do i turn off the electricity supply, since the meter and main fuse are sealed by the electricity company?

Sponsored Links
You need to get them to do it for you. Also they will probably want to inspect/test your new installation before re-connecting you.

Recently I rewired my house and following similar advice to above paid for professional electrician to inspect and provide test certificate. This electrician also did the "double pole" connection from below meter to new cons. unit. I called electricity company and was told - "As long as no one actually broke in to meter they did not care" !!. I looked carefully and the electrician had only removed a seal from a connection box below the meter and the meter seal is still intact.
Make of that what you will.
[email protected]

Did the electrician break the main 100A fuse seal too? Or just on the box that the fuse is on? Surely by breaking that seal (or even the fuse seal) someone would be able to get free electricity, so the electric company might get a bit concerned???

Sponsored Links
I do not think any fused area was broken in to but I can look again tonight. As to your question about the boiler. Assuming it requires power only for the operating components (i.e. not to generate heat) then it will draw a small amount of power only. It should be wired from a fused connection switch with probably a 3 amp fuse being enough. The power can be drawn from wherever is convenient. In my case I did this from the kitchen light circuit which is on that half of cons. unit which is less likely to nuisance trip. If you are doing a lot of wiring I can recommend a book called the "Which book of wiring and lighting" which covers everything from wiring a plug to redoing your whole house. I found it absolutely invaluable and well worth the few quid. (It must have saved me well over that by stoppping me from making expensive mistakes).
[email protected]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back