How much does it cost to put a plaster board on ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a lathe plaster ceiling which needs to be taken down and replaced with plaster board and skimmed. The room is 12'7 X 11. How much should it cost to get it done? I guess £100 for materials but not sure about labour.

Sponsored Links
I have a lathe plaster ceiling which needs to be taken down and replaced with plaster board and skimmed. The room is 12'7 X 11. How much should it cost to get it done? I guess £100 for materials but not sure about labour.
what state is the ceiling in now? it could be repaired or overboarded you want to think about these options first before you go pulling ceilings down

agree with steve, you may not necessarily need to pull it down, that would save on half a days labour and a skip for disposing of it.

i generally do an average sized room on my own in a couple of days, labour rates vary from anything between £100 per day to £180, depends where you are, materials you're not far off but disposing of it needs to be considered.

Thank you. For some reason people are quoting me from 300 to 800 for this job. I need to ask the guy who quoted 300 whether he will get the skip though he said only labour and he would take down the ceiling.

I guess I need to do a bit more research and find someone who will overboard.

Sponsored Links
if you get a skip you can also fill it with rubbish from your house..

As for the ceiling £300 to rip it down and out it back up? does that include skimming it?

Also IF you take the ceiling down ( of which i normally say do ) you can then fit spotlights easier. insulate the ceiling easier, and you know all the cr@p has gone.

Im work in yorkshire/manchester. And ( forgetting the skip ) I would probably charge £250 £300 to rip it all down, stick any wiring in if needed, insulate put the boards up and skim it. And that would be 2 days labour approx.

I've resigned myself that gone are the days of getting £250 jobs everyday and finishing them by 3pm. So i charge an amount for a day and thats it.

So a day to rip it down and clear up, and may get a few, if not all the boards and insulation up ( could quicky wire too ) Then anything left over plus skimming it the next day..

If you want it overboarded then your looking at a days work, so £130 plus about £50 of materials if that helps?

I also forgot...

Evn though i reccomened ripping it down. The black lime dust will go everywhere, no matter what you do. Your neighbours wll get it 5 houses down!!!!! I just done my youngests bedroom, and i done everything to stop it, took the window out, and there was/is still dust in the corner of the kitchen or behind the settee. So even though we clean everyday, it takes a few days for it to all go....

You do not say if this is a downstairs ceiling. I only mention it because replacing heavy lathe-and-plaster with lightweight plasterboard will increase the sound between between the storeys unless treated (resistant bar/soundbloc).

Thanks all. It is a ceiling on first floor no rooms above that for now.

Are there any serious reasons to not just overboard? What are the disadvantages.

If the ceiling is level-ish.
Overboard, saves time ripping old ceiling down, cost of disposal, the horrendous mess it's going to make.
Going to cost you about £45-50 for materials, lads job! up and skimmed by dinner.
Looking at something like the £300 you have been quoted.
I am also available for after dinner speeches and free drinks ;)

Thanks all. It is a ceiling on first floor no rooms above that for now.

Are there any serious reasons to not just overboard?

You said you have a lath and plaster ceiling which ""needs to be taken down"". You must have a reason to think that. Never overboard a ceiling that's in an unsafe condition, it only hides the problem. There's a lot of weight hanging up there, and if it decides to fall, it'll cause damage to the "new ceiling" below.

Thanks again. I don't have a reason that was the idea from the guy who quoted £300. Where ever I have read people say overboard it making sure screws g nicely into the joists. I am not an expert and don't want to goof up.

Plasterboard is barely able to take its own weight safely. Surely if you want it to support 4 times its weight in loose lime plaster you would not get enough screws in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back