cutting a plastic bath panel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
after installing a new curved bath,i realised that the bath side panel does not now fit,i do not want to remove floor tiles and the bath is already at its max height due to wastes and power shower pipes,which would be a head ache to move,what is the best method to cut and reconnect pannel(plastic) by about 2"?any special glues or tools that could help,many thanks.

or should i disconnect all and do it properly?

Sponsored Links
I assume you ment CLUE not GLUE :LOL:

Very easy, use a fine tooth saw blade. You can either use the saw blade in a gloved hand or rotate the hack saw fixings 9o degrees. If you have a metal straight edge you could score & snap it.

BUT
sawing is the best method I think for you, cut slowly have the panel supported, you can spit on the blade or use parafin to stop it snagging. Use a sharp knife to remove the burrs.

JUST TAKE YOUR TIME

I always use a straight edge and sharp stanley knife,dont press too hard,concentrate on where you are cutting not how deep.
And dont slip!
But hacksaw will do it safer.
Dont understand the reconnect part as once its cut thats it

Sponsored Links
little dremel with the right cutter,masking tape gives a good guide if the dremel veers off line a medium file or rasp soon sorts it out.cut the panel outside or the bits go everywhere :oops:

Thought I'd put my bit in as hopefully it can help. I'm not a pro or advanced DIYer so hopefully this will help those who think they have possibly a thicker/ more durable panel. The panel was from Bathstore and I needed to cut both at the top and ends. It seemed to be made from fibre glass/ pressed plastic and was about 3mm thick.

I tried aviation snips but these seemed to have a shattering effect so left them!
I then tried a very small fine hacksaw which created a clean line but was sooo slow I couldnt persist.
I looked at the stanley knife route but it looked very dangerous with no control over accuracy.
I then used a large hacksaw with very fine teeth. This did a good job but I had access issues to a point when having to do longer lengths.
My final and proven method was with the jigsaw using a fine toothed blade. I measured up and stencilled the lines needed over Gafer tape so there was some sort of hold. The other advantage is that the tape prevents the jigsaw from marking the panel.

If youre confident your panel is fairly durable, my advice would be to use the tape and jigsaw. Hope this helps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back