Installing a Magic eye

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,im looking to install a magic eye in our new extension we have sky hd in our tv room(the tv we use most) and another sky box(not HD) in another room(wich we hardly use). Am i correct in saying i need to run a coax from our HD box to our extension and follow the instructions with the magic eye? If so what kind of coax should i be using? tThe cable run is no more than 10 metres. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
so if you have a sky+ HD box, u can run some WF100 from the RF2 output to the magic eye then into the other tv ???

would you still be able to pause record etc through the 2nd tv where the magic eye is.?????

btw could u use RG6 cable or not ?

so if you have a sky+ HD box, u can run some WF100 from the RF2 output to the magic eye then into the other tv ????
Yep.

would you still be able to pause record etc through the 2nd tv where the magic eye is.?????
Yep

btw could u use RG6 cable or not ?
RG6 is a generic term describing the size of the cable. It doesn't say anything about the quality.

You could argue that any old coax would do for this job. If there was a massive difference in price then I might agree to an extent. The thing is though that really very good coax is only pence more than the cheap tat peddled on Ebay. When the difference is so small why not have the good stuff, I say.

Sponsored Links
The cable really needs to be a good, "double-screened" type because the "magic eye" signal is quite weak and prone to interruption by local interference. You could use "ultra-thin" WF65-1 cable if the thickness matters to you. It's somewhat less obtrusive if you have to, for example, run it along skirting boards.

I recommend you download and read all the information here:
http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/tvlink.htm

There's also a review of magic eyes here:
http://www.satcure.co.uk/reviews/review116.htm#03

It's not strictly relevant because it's comparing magic eyes when used with a specific type of "loft Box". However, it's interesting to note that not all magic eyes are equal.

Hi guys, now i am about to fit 2 of these magic eyes

ive got WF100 cable
2 x magic eyes
1 x 2way amp

im just abit confused i now how to wire it all up and turn the RF2 output on in the hidden menu.

its just that it says to test there working first by plugging them into the back of the Sky box without using any connectors.
Well the magic eye has a male bullet connector and so does the RF2 output, so how am i suppose to connect it without using a female connector ???

either make up a short link cable with the F type one one end (you call it bullet) and an RF plug on the other. or put the plugs on the entire lenngth of cable just for test purposes.

I have ran my cable under the floor towards my hd box, and I'm about 2 mtr short of my rg6 cable. Can I crimp another piece of cable onto this or do I need to buy a longer piece of cable?

If we are talking about F plugs then Sam's right. A decent tool isn't cheap and the cheap tools never seem to make a decent job. Its easy to mash the plug or end up with it loose if not done right. Quite a few of us in the aerial trade have moved on to compression plugs.

If you just want a cheap solution then use some screw-on F plugs and cover the joint with some heat shrink. If you'd prefer to make a strong joint that will be trouble free then compression fittings are the way forward.

I have a spare compression tool plus the plugs. We could work out something if you want to borrow it. Screw on plugs would be cheapet though.

Chris, out of interest, have you any experience of joining dissimilar cables? Is there a "one size fits all" compression plug or does it bring the same problems as with crimps - where the plug and die and cable all have to match?

I haven't found a universal compression plug. Even the small O/D difference between RG59 sized and RG6 sized cables requires a different plug. What is useful though is that the same compression tool and die tool works for both sizes of plug.

Thanks, Chris. That's exactly what I suspected and a good reason for using compression rather than crimp. Of course most people still don't know they must select a matching plug.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back