kitchen refit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i need advice im looking at changing my kitchen doors as the carcasses are fine,tiling the walls and floor and possibly changing the worktop.Can you tell me in which order you would recommend i should do this as im a complete diy novice.Any useful information be greatfully recvd.

Sponsored Links
Hi, make sure the doors you buy are the correct size particularly the height for your existing carcasses as manufacturers vary in height, and also the distance between the hinges vary too. You may have to adapt the hinge holes on the units to re-fit them to your carcass.

As for the order of work if your replacing the worktops:

* Cover/protect worktops sink & hob (if your not replacing them)
* Remove existing wall tiling,
* PVA walls ready for new tiles. Do this before taking out the tops as its messy and a bit of a git to clean up-You dont wanna cover the inside of all your carcasses with it!
* Remove work tops,(if being replaced)
* Remove plinths,
* Remove existing floor covering,
* Prepare floor PVA/PLY if necessary.
* Replace worktops, sink and Hob.
* Cover/protect new worktops sink and hob ready for tiling
* Re tile walls & Grout
* Re tile floor & Grout
* Replace (and cut down if needed) Plinths.
* Replace doors LAST so they dont get damaged or covered in adhesive etc

If the floor your re tiling is wooden, you should ideally screw 18mm ply sheets to it but a 9/12mm will suffice IF the floor feels solid. Use a flexi adhesive and grout.

Also make sure you don't raise the floor height so much that your washing machine/dishwasher etc no longer fit under the countertops!! or causes any other problems with opening PVC doors or thresholds.

This isn't a comprehensive work order as other problems may arise but it should give you a rough idea.....

Hi pedrover thanks for that useful info.Can you tell me what i am looking for in replacement kitchen doors.I spoke to the company that put the originals in and says that i should look for a slab mfc with a 2mm trim whatever that is.Also i am looking at getting 3 different quotes one being from kitchen magic but having a look online there seems quite a few bad remarks have you or your friends had any dealings with this company.

Hi pedrover thanks for that useful info.Can you tell me what i am looking for in replacement kitchen doors.I spoke to the company that put the originals in and says that i should look for a slab mfc with a 2mm trim whatever that is.Also i am looking at getting 3 different quotes one being from kitchen magic but having a look online there seems quite a few bad remarks have you or your friends had any dealings with this company.

MFC = Melamine faced chipboard with a 2mm pvc edging. (Pretty standard gloss slab door.)

Never heard of kitchen magic mate......

I find these companies can be pretty expensive due to offering a 'bespoke' service. They order in blank doors and drill the hinge holes in them to suit your carcasses.......NOT rocket science!!
Ive heard of companies charging nearly as much as just replacing the total kitchen!!

Just measure your existing doors and drawers height and width i.e:
A 500mm Door could measure 497mm by 715mm

Also take note of the hinge holes - drilled into the doors.
How far in from the edge of the door (usually 5mm)

Who are "the company that put the originals in"?

Sponsored Links
Hi pedrover ok so the company was
Pepper kitchens ltd compass point St.ives Cambs pe27 5jl
I phoned them up and this is what he suggested.

I can send you some pics if you would like.I just want some uncomplicated doors(black gloss) whatabout getting handless doors or something that latches onto the doors, i know they are very quick to show finger marks etc is that so i dont have to worry about drill holes.Any ideas be helpful.
Also whats the best thing to happen to my old doors if i dont need the handles should i leave them on.Cheers again for helping

A complete novice at this diy so a couple of quick questions if i hire a joiner he looks like hes going to howdens to get the doors etc.
1)Do i pay him to get them or do i just pay at the end of the job whats the normal procedure.
Next question this is my oven

//media.diynot.com/182000_181147_42281_59438507_thumb.jpg

2)Is there a way i can get a black gloss door hinged to the trim or is it to thin .I need it to go cover the oven all the way to the floor.
I am still playing with different ideas there is so many decisions to make.AARRGHH
This has been a very useful form so probably many questions to follow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back