8 months of hard work and expense and the neighbour objects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Contracted a "trusted" neighbour (a joiner) to project manage a 2 storey extension did everything I was supposed to, bldg regs planning permission etc was completely done over by the neighbour who was unreliable and then left us to finish the job (that's another story that requires a thread of its own).

Now his partner wants to object to our overhanging eaves (most of which is in our defined boundary) which was understood to have been agreed at the start although that is not in writing (her partner as the PM assured us that he had discussed the plans with her so he says?) She never complained/objected in the 8 months (not a peep) it took to finish the job and now claims we never consulted her (she lived through it, the scaffolding was sited throughout the project!!!!!) I have found out that they don't own the house a relative does (who was also here day in day out throughout the build).

They are now very unreasonable! Should I just ignore what is probably a jealous stab with a bit of shame mixed in? I would appreciate your thoughts.

Sponsored Links
This comes up on the Forum every now and then. You cannot legally overhang a boundary without permission in writing at least. As you have found out they can deny all knowledge, there is little you can do. Really the deeds would need to be altered to ensure problems in the future did not arise. If they wish to pursue it, the owners can legally object and you will have to remove anything overhanging the boundary.

BTW you need to be careful as you will legally need to declare any disputes you have had with your neighbours when you come to sell up whenever that may be.

This comes up on the Forum every now and then. You cannot legally overhang a boundary without permission in writing at least. As you have found out they can deny all knowledge, there is little you can do. Really the deeds would need to be altered to ensure problems in the future did not arise. If they wish to pursue it, the owners can legally object and you will have to remove anything overhanging the boundary.

BTW you need to be careful as you will legally need to declare any disputes you have had with your neighbours when you come to sell up whenever that may be.

I take your point but in mitigation and notwithstanding my extant bldg regs and planning permission (no objections); I have a lot of correspondence, receipts and a locally produced contract signed by the neighbour providing assurances and a list of the work we contracted him to carry out, linking him conclusively to the build over a 5-6 month period. All his receipts for the money we paid him are headed showing his company registered at the neighbours address. He is not married to his partner but has lived full time with her there and their kids for 9 years. His mother in law is the registered owner having paid for the property outright to house them, all of them could be challenged as to why they had not elected to object until now. What they have put my family through the least they could do would be to mediate, reasonably............I am ready for legal action but really wish to avoid it!

sticky wicket :cry:
a third part cannot speak for the home owner without there express permission

as said no written permission no proof

Sponsored Links
OK, that was two years ago - what has happened since ?

We need closure !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back