Cold storage room idea

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been asked to make a cold storage room approximately 10m x 3m in a corner of a warehouse, basically they will be having a few freezers and their idea is to keep the cold in everytime they open the freezers for their online business.

Any tips do and don't? 4" x 2" timber studs work with foiled back insulation slabs?

Sponsored Links
If you make an insulated room and put separate freezers in it, the room will get HOT. The rejected heat is given off - look up thermodynamics!

Thanks mysteryman, just found out they're going to put in air-condition units in the room

there must surely be industrial refridgeration units available, designed for cold rooms?

The Bookers warehouse I go to has a cold room with those Supermarket glass-fronted cabinets in it; the whole room is cold (but not freezing) presumably the hot coils are on the roof or used for the HW and the room is just chilled by the cabinets.

Sponsored Links
Check some Canadian sites this kind of thing is common over there

I wonder if the backs of the cabinets could be boxed in so that the hot coils ventilate outside the cold room?

I wonder if the backs of the cabinets could be boxed in so that the hot coils ventilate outside the cold room?
Thanks John, this is what I was hoping to do, I was going to cut out sections and insulate the side of the freezers but they have chest freezers rather than upright and the chest top door will hit the back of the wall....hmmm, you got me thinking now, maybe somehow carefully boxed like a tunnel to outside into the warehouse

Chest freezers are pretty efficient as the cold tends to stay inside in any case.
Chest freezers use either a skin condenser or a blown condenser (commercial CF only) So be careful which type they have. Plus any blown condenser type the air will be drawn from the back of the cabinet across the condenser coil and blown out the side making any boxing tricky

I have a Friend who owns a fridge company over that way who builds cold rooms using secondhand panels for a much lower price than new. he also fits a/c

However this project seems a bit weird with the idea of putting chest freezers in a insulated room with air conditioning to take out the heat so the freezers keep the cold in...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back