Tar/Bitumen stain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello again all,

I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me the correct primer to block out some kind of tar/bitumen stain that is bleeding through the wallpaper in my grandsons house?
It must have been painted on the wall as some sort of ealry damp-proofing and has now started to bleed through the wallpaper that was hung last year. (There is no dampness now, so its not that which is causing the problem.)
He has tried the zinser primers and stain blocks but none have worked completely. I'm sure I recall reading a thread here some time back that recommended a more traditional primer that will work (possibly aluminium or alkalii primer maybe :confused: ). I would appreciate it if someone could advise or direct me to that thread as I cant seem to fin dit.

Thank you
Maggie

Sponsored Links
Aluminium primer should resist against this kind a resinous bleed. This would be my preferred method, Hope this helps!

Thank you vibrobullet, I will tell him to try that.

Do you have any idea as to whether it canbe used on top of a painted blown vinyl paper and then emulsioned over again or should the paper be removed and the primer applied directly to the wall before repapering?

Thank you
Maggie

You'll only get bleed if there is an underlying problem. I'd say your damp problem is back.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, joe90, but it's definitely not damp as the house has had a new dampcourse and had been tested before the old wallpaper was removed - dry as the proverbial bone plus the stains only bleed through where the tar has been exposed after stripping the old paper
I may have been wrong when I said it was an early form of damp-proofing as it is just an assumption and its over all of the walls in the hallway...top to bottom. Perhaps it was some sort of adhesive for an older type of paper? :confused:
We'll give the aluminium primer a go, I think.

Thanks again
Maggie

Dry walls don't bleed. There has to be some kind of liquid present to bleed - so where is it coming from?

I'm afraid you'll have to tell me because, as I've said, there isnt any!

The only thing I can think of is that the wallpaper paste activates the tar which then leads it to bleed through the paper....same principle for the already tried primers/stain blocks, I suppose.

Maggie

But you've used stain blocks to stop that sort of thing. Why not phone Zinsser and ask them why their products don't work?

Aluminium primers don't tend to offer results here and are only intended in cases such as these to be applied to aged or weathered surfaces.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back