neighbours drains

djd

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
urgent help please,the plot i have bought is the end one in a row of five.Having spoken to next door she is ok about going via her sewer , but the one next to her has said no as he thinks we should not be allowed to and has thretened to block both of us off if we go ahead.The other houses were constructed 20 yrs ago and there has never been any problems with this drainage.Each property is served by a4"pipe linking at the bottom of the gardens to a 6" which goes into a manhole in the road owned by local authority .Can this neighbour stop me or do i have to get all 4 property owners consent,by the way to try and go directly to road is approx £20,000, Help.

Sponsored Links
The neighbour cannot block the drain!!!

Also a 150mm drain can supply upto 200 houses.

Andy

• Thanks
Reactions: djd
Andy is right!

The cannot block your drain off... I would just crack on and keep it to yourself

• Thanks
Assuming the law is the same in Wales, the shared drains became the property of the water company a few years back, if your neighbour blocks them they are probably breaking the law.

• Thanks
Sponsored Links
Assuming you have the necessary permissions from Welsh Water to make a connection, you will still need the permission from the owner(s) of the sewer to which you wish to connect. You now need to determine the ownership of this section of sewer through all the neighbours property, as to if it is still a private sewer or has now come under the remit of Welsh Water.

You may be lucky and find it is now belonging to Welsh Water, in which case you will probably do the immediate neighbour a favour as once you have connected, the sewer downstream from that point may shift to Welsh Water's remit.

The neighbour has no right to block it off any more than you have a right to connect without permission. I think if the sewer is still under private ownership then you may need to offer a financial incentive to be able to connect. Welsh Water however, can and will block any illegal connection to their system!

many thanks for all the helpful advice,contacted welsh water today and they say the main6" is already adopted,have been advised to set up easement with next door,very happy tonight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back