Baxi Solo 24 HE boiler - heat exchanger broken x3 in a year

read the baxi instructions and it will explain it , the solo has a flow switch and pump is only wired from the boiler if system has trvs on every rad

Sponsored Links
I have a feeling the Baxi Solo does not have range rating. It fires at max and then self modulates to power it needs to put out. It becomes an issue if a lot of radiators are shut off by their trvs and then Ferrari is the pulling a dinky toy. A room thermostat should have been fitted to control the boiler.

System operation is as follows. Timer clicks on, room thermostat or cylinder thermostat if calling, energises motorised valve. Motor runs and some 20 seconds later the boiler fires. If both heating and hot water calling at the same time on a system, when either thermostat is satisfied, that zone shuts down to wait till other thermostat satisfied when boiler and pump switch off

Get your guy to check flow and return temperatures. this should be one at the boiler as well as at the cylinder and to and from the radiators

Also ask him to check if system bypass is operating correctly and it should be an automatic system bypass and not a gate valve

When you make a demand, be it ch or hw, is there a slight delay before the boiler fires/ pump runs?

Bigger of the two boilers will not be excessive output, especially when heating water as almost all that power will be needed by th cylinder assuming it is an unvented cylinder

I think the Solo does not have pump over run.

Gas 112 - no there are not TVR's on all radiators - I'm changing over to new radiators floor by floor.

DP - Thank- you , I will pose these questions to the Baxi heat team chap on Thursday and will then listen for whether there is a delay or not when it fires up. Currently the whole system is firmly switched off till then but still it drips ..

I had the HW cylinder changed from a 90l one to a 144 litre one a while back too.

Thanks for all your advice

This seems to be an open vented system.

Pump over run is not compulsory on most boilers with the pipe connections at the top.

Never heard of any saying you should NOT use pump over run if you choose to as I would.

I am sure there is a reason for all these failures. Not statistically likely. Just a matter of seeing what it is.

Dont see how they can refuse to replace under boiler cover if they cannot name a problem with the installation.

I would expect flow rate or overun aspects creating excessive thermal shock.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Pump over run is not compulsory on most boilers with the pipe connections at the top.

Afraid I disagree with that statement Tony. It is the manufacturer who decides. If Baxi say pump be controlled by the boiler (hence over run is under control of boiler), cannot see how an installer can do other wise. MIs after all are part of Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations.

I mean that most manufacturers say that its not essential.

Not the choice of the installer.

But I am not aware of ANY boiler like that which does require pump over run.

I would usually connect it though.

Tony

Tony, ecotec series 4 has connections at the top and pump wired to the boiler

Suprima HE
Greenstar Ri
Vokera Mynute VHE

all above require pump to be connected to the boiler.

you never know. system could have loads of ds-40(acid cleaner) floating about?

all i know i come across loads of boilers that use this turd of heat exchanger which have started to leak. they must be cheap as chips to make for this design to still be kicking about...

Agile you certainly come out with some ****e at times

yes, there are a few but I would not guess at them and list them unless I have checked the MI which I dont have time to do.

Tony you DID say the following ;)

But I am not aware of ANY boiler like that which does require pump over run.

which is now transposed to

yes, there are a few but I would not guess at them and list them unless I have checked the MI which I dont have time to do

Now, is the first one a wild statement or does second take the buscuit.

For a man who is very talented, you do make some outrages statement at times. :eek:

Are the boilers installed in a reverse return arrangement?

I bet they arent.

In my experience, if multiple boiler installations are not piped in a reverse return arrangement then you can experience problems with boilers and main heat exchangers.

Regards.

I had a call out recently to a solo approx 3 yo ht ex had gone not long after power flush, I suspect that not all the chemicals had been flushed from the system, I think the customer got a replacement under her insurance I was just paid for my call out ro drain down.

Alan

As I read it the OP has a large property with 2 completely seperate systems , each boiler/ system is independant from one another & the boilers are not connected together ??

As Mehran said / suggested ? there must be something in the water , chemical left over from flushing ??? maybe ??

u could send a water sample from thr system to sentinel or fernox for analaysis ?????

Yes Correct. 2 totally independent systems - nothing is connected from one system to the other. Each has its own boiler and pump.

Today is the day that Heat team are coming to mend it - it's been a very long week.

I highly doubt its anything to do with chemicals as the system has been drained down at least 8 times due to the copper pipe leaks since the powerflush at least 3 years ago when the new boilers were first installed and nothing went wrong for the first 18 months.

I'm going to be asking him about thermal shock, overrun, flow/return temperatures and range rating and will post later as to the answers.

Thank you all very much for all your suggestions and help. I am very grateful.

xx

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back