Opinion on Join Between Old and New Roof Tiles - Any Good?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I would kindly like the opinion of any experienced roofers on here with regard to the quality of the join between a new and old roof on a semi-detached house.

I am looking to get my roof re-done as I have old 1930’s Rosemary Tiles which have surpassed their 80th year and are looking past their best.

My neighbour over the road just had theirs re-done and it seemed like a good job until it was pointed out by someone that the join they had made did not look very good quality and was possibly a bit of a botch job.

Any Opinions? View media item 61403
In addition what is the best way of joining and old and new roof?

The options I am aware of are a Hidden GRP valley, Open Valley or a Mophandle Roll?

I am hoping to convince my joined neighbour that the roof does need doing, but if not I want to know what the options are.

With regards to my roof - I was hoping to replicate the old Rosemary tiles as much as possible and am looking at the Sandtoft 20/20 clay tiles? Any thoughts/opinions on those tiles?

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
That looks bloody awful!

The other option is third round hip bond, making sure that there are soakers on the plain tile side.

what tile is on your neighbours roof?

Many Thanks for the Reply

We both have the original roof, 1930s rosemary tiles (same as those on the picture). Why do you ask?

As I said I am hoping to replace them with a modern equivalent as I like the look (I would love to do it with Rosemary tiles but I don’t think it makes financial sense). I think I am leaning towards a clay tile rather than something like Redlands Duoplain Concrete tile.

What are the main issues with what they have done? Some other neighbours are thinking of using the same builders/roofers, (I wasn’t particularly) so letting them know about this would be useful to them.

Gee, even the flashing is not professional, me think it's jack of all trade roofer!

Sponsored Links
What's happening at the tile end at the eaves? Where is the water to go at that corner?

I assume you mean where the two gables meet, at the bottom of the valley between the two tiles?

There is a flattish bit of roof where the two gables join with a downpipe in the middle. Here is a picture with a slightly different angle.
View media item 61448

@masona why does the flashing look un-professional too. Someone also pointed that out as possibly being poor quality, what specifically about it? Is it the way they have bedded it into the brickwork

Don't let them anywhere near your roof...

Everything looks twisted, they havnt even bothered to put next doors cut tiles back properly.

Pointing, disgusting.
Leadwork, ok.

And that's in one little picture, would love to see the rest of it.

Here is the best angle I can get of the whole roof. It was a hip to gable conversion (so I guess its a much simpler roof now). Apart from the join and the flashing I can't see anything else that jumps out apart from a tile sticking up at the bottom right of the gable.

View media item 61469 View media item 61468
But again, I'm not a roofer, so If you can see anything else concerning, please let me know. I will try to get an image of the gable end.

Compared to how it should be done or "best practice" can anyone say what specifically is wrong with the join, the pointing and flashing?

How will it possibly affect roof performance in the long term, or are we talking a pure aesthetic issue?

Looking at the rest of it now on those pictures it doesn't actually look too bad.

Just a couple of minor aesthetic issues as you said (slightly messy pointing etc)

The tiles are straight, it's next doors that's a bit pi*sed up, they could have straightened the rosemary's up a bit.

Thanks for the information.

Is there likely to be any long term problem with that join and flashing? Have they just made a channel with mortar and possibly some lead?

Or would you still suggest being wary of using these roofers?

In addition, what is the best method of joining apart from half round hip tiles as that would not look good at all on these roofs?

Best way to join is with a bonding gutter or lead as you said.

No, that roof will be perfectly water tight, just looks a little poor.

A few little things let it down.

@masona why does the flashing look un-professional too. Someone also pointed that out as possibly being poor quality, what specifically about it? Is it the way they have bedded it into the brickwork
It's okayish and won't have any problem with it, I just feel the flashing could be a little neater. Can't see from photo, there's no mortar seal joint on top of flashing, there's also nothing to stop the lead flashing lifting
Rapid_Flashing_Installed_08.jpg

repair7l.jpg

Thanks, thats exactly what I wanted, I have been scouring images for some good examples but have not found any as clear as those.

So, it looks as if its a decent roof, no major issues but the finish is poor in places.

Many thanks to all those who answered.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back