Wallpaper feature wall where to start

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have one wall in a lounge I need to wallpaper. The wall the is about 6 metres in length and has a gas fire on it with a small marble surround. This gas fire is not in the centre of the wall, it is off set slightly to one side. The wallpaper I will be hanging is patterned.

My question is where do I start hanging the paper?

Thanks
Mark

Sponsored Links
The Fire and Marble surround is the focal point of the wall, So I would start the paper centered to the chimney breast, making sure the first length of wallpaper equally spans the centre line and work away from that on both sides.

....unless the pattern on the paper is centred on the roll (width-ways). On ours, the pattern has a huge flower thing (ugh) in the middle, so I made sure the chimney breast had that flower right in the middle. No hard and fast rules I suppose - depends on what you like the look of.

Sponsored Links
I'm with Boss White.

Normally you'd just work from the plumb line left to right, but with this I'd go from the fireplace outwards.

Word of warning though, make sure you use a spirit level! Otherwise you'll have your wallpaper slowly angling upwards or downwards and you'll be left with a big gap by the time you get to the end.

It's easy to cut off excess paper. It's very difficult to reposition it once it's stuck on!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back