'40% of UK Muslims' want Sharia Law

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Daily Mail said:
Four in 10 Muslims in Britain want hard-line Sharia Law introduced in parts of Britain, an ICM poll revealed.

One in five also expressed sympathy with the "feelings and motives" of the July 7 suicide bombers who killed 52 innocent people in London.

.....Sharia Law, which is practised in large parts of the Middle East, specifies stonings and amputations as routine punishments. Religious police are responsible for bringing suspects before special courts.

Sharia should be introduced in "predominantly Muslim" areas of Britain, according to 40% of the 500 Muslims polled. Almost the same number, 41%, opposed the move.

but also:

Daily Mail said:
However, while British Muslims come over as alienated from mainstream society, 91% said they feel "loyal" to Britain.

how exactly is that possible??

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...=377612&in_page_id=1770&in_a_source=&ito=1490

Sponsored Links
user56565 said:
........ according to 40% of the 500 Muslims polled. Almost the same number, 41%, opposed the move.

So, this leaves 19% who abstained - perhaps unable to complete the poll due to amputation :LOL:

On a more serious note I think there are many un-answered problems and issues faced by countries that encourage multi-cultural societies. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against this, and I actually think that it is a good thing - anything that allows people to 'expand their knowledge' and learn about other ways of life will allow them to be more accepting of others. (of course, I am not talking of the extremists, etc who are intent on doing harm to others because of their beliefs).

Anyway, other cultures have their religions and beliefs that are often against our laws and society's acceptance. If the country expects the person from the other culture to abide with the laws of that country, then really that country has not accepted that other person. If a person feels unaccepted, they are very likely to become defensive as they have been 'alienated' in some way. If you then 'group' alienated people together, you have in effect created a 'little army'.

In the case of the UK, for many years it has opened its doors to the world and encouraged people from other cultures to come. We have learnt many wonderful things from this and although I am sure lots of people will dispute this, we have developed as a country through this knowledge. (would we be where we are today if the Roman's hadn't invaded? :LOL:)

I think that it is right that if you visit or live in another country, you must abide by their laws but what this means that in reality is that it is never possible to have a truely 'multi-cultural' society - only a country where people from other cultures live.

So, in the case of the UK - we are trying to encourage something that is not possible to achieve - it defies logic, and is one sure way of causing animosity :confused:

We unfortunately live in a country and society that tends to look more at the negative aspects of life - i.e anything we fear is a problem rather than a 'learning experience'. This is greatly enhanced by the media. For example, when was the last time you read anything in the newspapers about something wonderful a person with mental health issues did? Much more likely to read about the 'paranoid schizophrenic' who went on a murder spree. It is the same with the reporting of 'cultural' issues - I have never read about the wonderful things done by the millions of immigrants who work hard, live to our society's rules and regulations and contribute greatly to their community :confused: If people are afraid, they are easily controlled ;)

Sorry for the long rant and for going off on a tangent :oops: Also, what I have written is very generalised, so please don't take anything personally :LOL:

Sponsored Links
yah! I'd like abit of Sharia Law just for a change and then try somemit different after we've had that for a while, change is as good as a rest. :D

Assuming that this isn't a case of the Daily Mail exaggerating or distorting figures in some way (perhaps the subjects of the survey were islamic fundamentalists?) and considering that fact that even if 100% of muslims wanted sharia law then it still wouldn't make it a popular choice amongst the British people at large, and considering that a large fraction of the immigrant muslims in this country don't even come from sharia-practicing countries themselves...

Even if everyone in the government decided "Y'know what, let's go with it. Let's bring in punishments like pushing walls over onto convicted homosexuals", I think anyone who seriously wants this is forgetting a very important issue:

European Law.

No doubt there are other international human rights laws we are signed up to, but I am pretty certain that the European courts would never allow this.

Don't get me wrong, thieves should all have their willies cut off. But i really don't think Islamic or even Islamic-style law is concurrent with a civilised culture, and anyone civilised enough to have risen to a status where they have any say in the matter would be dead against it.

Gary_M said:
Anyway, other cultures have their religions and beliefs that are often against our laws and society's acceptance.
I agree with you here. Classic cases have involved the use of drugs which are illegal in this country. Andeans traditionally chew coca leaves (cocaine) and rastafarians smoke cannabis. There was a case about two years ago where immigrants from a country in Africa were rather miffed because their traditional drug of choice was made illegal.

If the country expects the person from the other culture to abide with the laws of that country, then really that country has not accepted that other person.

Or has that person not accepted the country?
:eek:
I work in a large multinational corporation. If I was unhappy with the way things were done, do you think a) 100,000 people should change their way for me, or b) I should get a different job.

If I moved abroad, it would be because I was enamoured with that country, it's culture, it's people or simply something as trivial as the weather there. I wouldn't move somewhere with a culture I disapprove of, nor would I expect them to change for me.

at the risk of sounding gross... I have sausages under the grill for our lunch and Im thinking well...
not sure I want them now hee hee.

toffee

Enjoy your willies, oops... sausages.

PS, richardp might of had his chopped off so be careful when you are eating yours with ketchup. :LOL:

user56565 said:
Daily Mail said:
Four in 10 Muslims in Britain want hard-line Sharia Law introduced in parts of Britain, an ICM poll revealed.

One in five also expressed sympathy with the "feelings and motives" of the July 7 suicide bombers who killed 52 innocent people in London.

.....Sharia Law, which is practised in large parts of the Middle East, specifies stonings and amputations as routine punishments. Religious police are responsible for bringing suspects before special courts.

Sharia should be introduced in "predominantly Muslim" areas of Britain, according to 40% of the 500 Muslims polled. Almost the same number, 41%, opposed the move.

but also:

Daily Mail said:
However, while British Muslims come over as alienated from mainstream society, 91% said they feel "loyal" to Britain.

how exactly is that possible??

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...in_page_id=1770&in_a_source=&ito=1490[/QUOTE]

This is devisive reporting, with the aim to sell their paper and/or push their political agenda, which is set to stir up more trouble from a filthy rag I wouldn't wipe my a*se with!

Most of the recent problems have been due to extremes on either side and irresponsible reporting creating such a negative climate. Yes, there are problems, but as Gary M has indicated there are many good things that have not been highlighted regarding immigration. Now is especially a time when instead of division we should all be seeking common ground.

People can even feel alienated, yet still not only feel loyal but be loyal in spite of the former. Just as someone may not be alone yet still feel lonely, be calm yet feel anger..."come over as alienated" yet feel loyal! Think about it...it's a perfectly consistent logic, yet I do not expect some will have the capacity to comprehend.

Im with my sausageless cornwallain friend ,Richardp

lets have a change ....LOL... LOL

btw ... Daily Mail Readers =Mediocre Rightwing Mafia :)

Sponsored Links
Back