wylex mcb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
I have a wylex standard rewireable fuse box and it has 7 fuses and 1 mcb but the mcb has failed so I am going to swap it back to a fuse but will I need to change anything like the holder?
many thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
its a plug in mcb and it has burned out inside and I have the 15 amp fuse but the holder is white not blue so I am going to try it in the morning with the fuse

doesnt the MCB have a different cover thingy?
That would defeat the whole object of plug-in MCBs, wouldn't it?

If Mr.Public had to take the CU apart to fit them.

Yeh, i guess.

Just thought i read something the other week about having to change the base that the MCB plugs into to allow the fitment of the MCB.

I guess i made the assumption that once converted to take an MCB you couldnt the swap back without changing the base again.

Maybe its just something specific to older wylex boards?

PBoD has got to be right. Why change one fuse to MCB? - Because the fuse kept blowing.

You don't "take the board apart" you just have to remove/swap the shield by unscrewing it. Board off of course!

MCBs and fuses have different spacings in the shields.

Colour wise, a lower-value fuse/MCB will fit through a higher value shield. So a white MCB prongs will fit through a blue MCB shield, but not necessarily one for a fuse.

Just thought i read something the other week about having to change the base that the MCB plugs into to allow the fitment of the MCB.

Although the pin slots are the same i think you may find the mcb base is thinner than the fuse base, or at least it used to be.

As the fuse is supplied with a base it should be clear to see

If you mean a plug-in mcb, then no.
As AndyPRK said, that is not correct. As for your subsequent 'Why', there are two reasons. Firstly the pin spacing of the plug-in MCBs is different from that of the fuse carriers. Secondly, the 'holder' for the fuse carrier is much 'deeper', and would hold a plug-in MCB so far out that its pins would not reach the contacts even if they did have the right spacing to go through the holes.

If you don't believe me, I can take some photos!

Kind Regards, John

... there are two reasons. Firstly the pin spacing of the plug-in MCBs is different from that of the fuse carriers. Secondly, the 'holder' for the fuse carrier is much 'deeper', and would hold a plug-in MCB so far out that its pins would not reach the contacts even if they did have the right spacing to go through the holes.
If you don't believe me, I can take some photos!
In anticipation of non-believers, I took the photos (not very well, in haste), anyway:

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back