Technika flat screen TV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My sister's TV started to give a fuzzy picture then died and now won't power up to standby.

I've checked the plug fuse and with the back off, checked the cables inside and looked for any burns or burst capacitors on the PCBs - nothing apparent.

Should I tell her to condemn the TV?

Sponsored Links
No, not yet. Tell her to find the receipt and take this piece of crap back to Tesco and tell them to sort it out under the 6-year warranty rights that she has under UK consumer law. http://blogs.thisismoney.co.uk/2010/03/tv-warranty.html

Supermarkets have no business selling TV and audio products unless they're prepared to provide full backing for them. This is something I feel very strongly about.

They are trading on consumer ignorance and the idea that electronics are now disposable items that customers throw away when it goes faulty outside of the standard 12 month warranty period. This has to stop.

Cheap TVs are cheap for a reason... and that reason is they're crap.

If you buy a TV in the full knowledge that it's unreliable junk then that's one thing. But for a supermarket to offer these low quality items alongside branded products from reputable manufacturers is tantamount to fraud in my book. They need to be held accountable, and the only message that the supermarkets understand is when profits get hit.

Personally I'd love to see every owner of a faulty supermarket brand TV take them all back for repair/partial refund if they go back within 6 years. That's the only way that these retailers will get the message that selling cheap junk is a very poor long term strategy.

Op doesnt say how old it is so a bit unfair to condemn all of them. I have a technika TV which is at least 4 years old and still going strong. I had a cheap beko which must have lasted 10 years and a cheap matsui which did similar. Pretty sure there must be branded ones that haven't lasted as long. How long should a TV last?

I had a Toshiba that lasted 6 months. It was replaced for another Toshiba that lasted even less. I got a refund and bought a Sainsbury's own brand that it still going strong after seven years.

Sponsored Links
My sister has had the TV over 6 years so any 6-year warranty rights don't apply but thanks for posting the advice.

The TV is going to the local refuse.

A TV repair is likely 50% £ of a new one.

This is true so you'll save several hundred zloti by having it repaired and getting another 6 years usage. Curiously, most people can't do this simple calculation and prefer to risk buying a new one with a 1 year guarantee.

Perhaps there's a saving to be had when having a large flat screen TV repaired but I doubt that theory extends to a 22" model, £140 from Argos.

Repair costing what, £50- £100?

£140 - 100 = £40 saved.

A valid point.

Sadly though, £100 wasted should something else go wrong a few months post repair.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back