Steam Generator need an isolating switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've put in a small wetroom/steam room at home and had one of these installed:
http://www.insigniarange.co.uk/product.aspx?id=393

The steam generator is in the loft space above the steam room with a control panel, thermometer probe and steam valve running into the room.

The whole job was done and just the electrics to be finished and that's when the electrician decides to tell me he needs to install a 9kw/45a isolating switch (cooker switch) outside the steam room. It's ugly as hell and because he hadn't planned ahead or told me it was needed it's had to be placed high up on the wall just next to the steam door.

Only after the job was done I looked in the installation instructions for the steam generator and realised it doesn't say anything about needing a switch. Is the switch required here?

I did contact the manufacturer but they only said to trust my electrician. Problem is I don't trust the electrician.

Sponsored Links
All heating elements must have a local DP isolator, but there is no reason why it can't be sited in the loft next to the generator.

The isolator should be accessible outside the steam room for two reasons :-

[1] the event the steam generator controller mal-functions and the generator has to be shut down by removing power.

[2] the person in the steam room has collapsed and the door, locked from the inside, cannot be opened in time to prevent hyperthermia.

There may be other reasons as well.

Thanks both!

The isolator should be accessible outside the steam room ...
"Should be there" or "is required to be there"? Want to understand if this is opinion or part of some regulations?

Are there any options for how it could look better? Replacing the switch with a chrome one is an option... anything else that would hide the bulk of the switch body into the wall or hanging from the ceiling like electric showers have? Luckily I'm decorating this room anyway so all options are open.

Sponsored Links
The isolator should be accessible outside the steam room ...
"Should be there" or "is required to be there"? Want to understand if this is opinion or part of some regulations?
Are you questioning the location, or whether you need an isolator at all?
Are there any options for how it could look better? Replacing the switch with a chrome one is an option... anything else that would hide the bulk of the switch body into the wall or hanging from the ceiling like electric showers have?
A ceiling mounted 'shower isolator pull-switch' would certainly be acceptable, but whether you'd find one rated for use in a 'steam room' (which I imagine is an environment pretty hostile to anything electrical) is another matter.

Kind Regards, John

This would come under special locations 703 Sauna.

You can't have it inside the room, so if you don't want the switch there, where do you want it?

Or is it just the style? It could be a shower style pullcord switch, but again, it needs to be outside the room.

Ok, thanks Andrew, John, Bernard, DaftPunk. Happier now to have a bit of confirmation it's there for the right reason at least. And to know the option of a ceiling mounted switch (outside the room) exits... I'll look at getting it swapped.

Appreciate the help!

Let's look at this another way...

The switch must exist. The switch must be accessible.

The definition of "accessible" is the point on which you have some room for manoeuvre, so as DaftPunk says, the loft could at a stretch be defined as accessible*, or if you have an airing cupboard of something of the sort close by, that would probably be a sensible place for it. I think the key point is that everyone in the household should know where it is, what it's for, and be able to get to it.

*If the loft is well lit, safely boarded, etc.

I can't see anything in 703 requiring an isolator.
I think it will be down to the manufacturer's instructions.

varilight-45a-cooker-switch-1-gang-1-or-2-way-screwless-matt-crome-black-insert-xds45sbs-712-p.jpg

Not ugly.

I'd be happy with the isolator in the loft as thats where the steam generator is, and the only real time it'll be used is when someone is working on the generator.

If something goes wrong with the generator it can always be turned off at the consumer unit as it will be on it's own circuit.

The loft isn't easily accessible so I can understand why it wasn't put there. The consumer unit is also no where near.

EFL, could swap out the face plate but what I have it's a double plate sitting vertically so even posh chrome ones look out of place.
I did ask for a single plate one but the electrician said the 10mm wires just can't be attached up in a small box.[/youtube]

EFL, could swap out the face plate but what I have it's a double plate sitting vertically so even posh chrome ones look out of place.
I do agree that the double vertical ones look horrible.

I did ask for a single plate one but the electrician said the 10mm wires just can't be attached up in a small box.
A bit difficult but not impossible with a deep box.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back