flying earth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi , i have a quick question about flying earths on switches & sockets
does it matter if the earth cable is connected to switch then flying earth from switch to metal mounting box or is it better earth cable to metal mounting box then to switch or socket ,
as both ways have the earth cable linked i would have thought both ways have the same result , what are your thoughts on this subject

Sponsored Links
Ideally the main supply would be better going to the accesory first ( one less joint) but I quess it dont really matter,

some accesories have 2 linked earth terminals and some use that second term purely for the link back to the box.

Others preinstall the link in the backbox prior to fitting the backboxes ready to return and second fix

Some boxes or accesories have small terminals so sometimes its easier to use the smaller term for the single cable

One way i dont like seing is when they put 1 leg in the box and 1 leg in the accesory and a link between, i like to see both supply earths together

Ideally the main supply would be better going to the accesory first ( one less joint) but I quess it dont really matter,

some accesories have 2 linked earth terminals and some use that second term purely for the link back to the box.

Others preinstall the link in the backbox prior to fitting the backboxes ready to return and second fix

Some boxes or accesories have small terminals so sometimes its easier to use the smaller term for the single cable

One way i dont like seing is when they put 1 leg in the box and 1 leg in the accesory and a link between, i like to see both supply earths together

thanks rocky , much appreciated

1 leave earth wire long.
2 slide a piece of about 4'' earth sleeving on wire.
3 fold over and flatten at end of sleeving and place in back box terminal.
4 slide another piece of earth sleeving on and attach to accessory.

Sponsored Links
1 leave earth wire long.
2 slide a piece of about 4'' earth sleeving on wire.
3 fold over and flatten at end of sleeving and place in back box terminal.
4 slide another piece of earth sleeving on and attach to accessory.
That's essentially what I usually do (with new wiring), but I'm not sure why you want as much as 4" of sleeved conductor going to the back box terminal - I'd probably be a fair bit meaner than that!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back