Washing Machine motor brushes holder Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I would be grateful if someone could help me....my washing machine needs new motor brushes....I have taken out the motor and the brushes are not the spring ones I was expecting. They are screw...nut...hexagon things I bought a nut driver with the smallest piece being 5mm and it doesn't cathch properly so I was wondering if any of you guys had a clue on where I could buy a smaller one from? Please I would be so grateful for any advice. I have googled and googled...really lost. Attached is a pic of the offending nut thing lol.

Many thanks

Dobs View media item 80190

Sponsored Links
Can't see your pic I'm afraid but I have found that some of these nuts are actually imperial, rather than metric for some reason.
John :)

Hi thanks both for the replies. I think I added the picture right now....eventually.

Should I be looking for a precision screwdriver set then for the nut?

Many thanks again :D

Sponsored Links
You'll need an imperial 1/4" square drive socket for this one......they are cheap enough and made by Kamasa as well as others.
I have a universal Halfords set which has them in, but I appreciate you don't need a 120 piece set.
Maybe a local motor factor stocks Laser tools?

Thank you guys so much :D I do appreciate your time in replying. Have a nice evening

Just a thought, but if you took the motor to a repairer and bought the brushes from them, they'd probably pop them in for free.....

They are always metric these days, you nut spinner cannot grip the head because it's shallow and the tool has a chamfered rim, grind down the chamfered rim to flat and it will get good purchase.

They are always metric these days, you nut spinner cannot grip the head because it's shallow and the tool has a chamfered rim, grind down the chamfered rim to flat and it will get good purchase.

You would think so Foxy but actually they aren't.......last one I did was a Zanussi washer/drier and the self tap screws had imperial heads alright.
The supplier commented that some of the motors were scourced from the States, which was a new one on me!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back