Why do the majoirty of new houses look so ****e

for whom ?
Interesting to watch (from a distance!) what's happening to property and their values in London. Even the smart set can't stretch to anything in the desirable, central areas. Tower Hamlets, Hackney, Peckham and Wandsworth are up and coming. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Some of the homes that I work in are certainly not cheap, £300.000 - £350,000 but still have walls made out of nothing better than cardboard. You would think for that price they could throw in some bricks and a bit of plaster.

Some good points on here about varying quality of house construction.

If the government are a bit short of things to debate, perhaps they could consider legislating to oblige estate agents to provide comprehensive details of construction materials for all properties they sell. I think this would be at least as useful to the prospective buyer as these 'energy efficiency' reports we have to pay for now.

Absolutely. One customer I was working for could not understand why their bannister rail kept coming loose, until I explained that it was screwed into a plasterboard wall with a void of 4".

If a construction efficiency report was available and it scored 2 out of 10 then maybe they would have thought twice about buying it.

Sponsored Links
[ Not far from me is a suburb that was developed in the 30s. There are hundreds of houses all built about the same time, but they are built properly when good materials were more affordable.

They're mostly semis or detached,

For me, 30s homes are the best in terms of style and quality, but you probably couldn't afford to build houses like this these days in big numbers without them being unaffordable. So, instead we get crap that people can just about afford.

I live in a 60s box, because it's a good trade off between quality, space, big garden and affordability. People knock them for being characterless, and yes they may be compared to period places. But character costs - so a house with character but the same sq. footage as mine would cost a lot more.
Indeed the 30`s semi @ £500 each :p bet the tradesmen working on them couldn`t afford them :idea: - better to rent a Viccy one for 5/- a week

[ Not far from me is a suburb that was developed in the 30s. There are hundreds of houses all built about the same time, but they are built properly when good materials were more affordable.

They're mostly semis or detached,

For me, 30s homes are the best in terms of style and quality, but you probably couldn't afford to build houses like this these days in big numbers without them being unaffordable. So, instead we get crap that people can just about afford.

I live in a 60s box, because it's a good trade off between quality, space, big garden and affordability. People knock them for being characterless, and yes they may be compared to period places. But character costs - so a house with character but the same sq. footage as mine would cost a lot more.
Indeed the 30`s semi @ £500 each :p bet the tradesmen working on them couldn`t afford them :idea: - better to rent a Viccy one for 5/- a week

Just as unaffordable to the tradesman today, unfortunately. And any Victorian place worth having is likely to be inhabited by the nouveau riche. Just make sure 'er indoors keeps bringing home the bacon.

mass developers are under pressure to be as 'economical' as possible too, they also have to look at how available materials are towards what they estimate they will need. bricks are around 12 months from order at the mo, so they may render more houses and use less brick walls etc. they all build to the same standards

B*llocks, don't make excuses for them...there wasn't a so slow turn around of ugly Barratt bricks this time last year...Anyway, as I've already said, they couldnt make nice house if they tried; they're just too happy to keep on churning out the same old tacky, generic, ****e...everywhere is going to look the same before long.

I don't know how everywhere will look the same when they do different house types and sizes, someone has to keep up with the demand for more houses, and they seem to have kept going for a long time

I can't really disagree that new estates look pretty horrible. They do look better as they get older though and some of the total uniformity wears off.

You've all failed to grasp why Barratts homes look like Barratts homes, its simple supply and demand, brain surgery it is not yet none of you can or ever will grasp it.

On a forum for DIY'ers I'd have thought modern houses would be the canine's testicles.

You've all failed to grasp why Barratts homes look like Barratts homes, its simple supply and demand, brain surgery it is not yet none of you can or ever will grasp it.

:LOL: get knotted, you pompous little twerp.

But seriously, "demand" wasn't very high 6 years ago - when house-building was at an all time low.

Sponsored Links
Back