Whats this setup? 4mm from meter!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, while visiting my grandma in the midlands, I noticed something a bit unusual - at least by todays standards!

Aside from having a radio teleswitch between the meter and the consumer unit, which i have never seen in person before than at her house; the wiring arrangements and the cable sizes used seem a bit unsafe!

4mm between the radio teleswitch and the meter, whats going on !?

As for earthing arrangements, T-N-CS from what i can figure. (shurley not T-N-C)

Below is a picture of how it is wired up from what i can work out, along with some other pictures including the radio teleswitch.

(Cable sizes that are not quoted in diagram are at least 10mm, what seems ok for the era when this was installed.)

(Notice how PE and possible neutral conductor share same exposed terminal block as shown in my diagram.)

Regards: Elliott

Sponsored Links
It is a switched neutral which when the teleswitch says it's time, sends a signal to the meter and tells it to change from "normal" rate to "off peak" rate.

So out of the main incoming supply/fuse holder, how come there is only 1 thick cable. Does it carry both line and neutral conductors inside this thick cable coming out?

Sponsored Links
Yes it's a concentric tail. The live is in the centre, with the neutral surrounding it. It's a tamper proof connector to prevent the abstraction of electricity before the meter.

Not seen that thing under the meter before, presume its some sort of meter fiddling prevention

Not seen that thing under the meter before, presume its some sort of meter fiddling prevention
Sort-of, I'd imagine. Is it not within that 'thing' that the concentric cable splits for connection to what looks like a standard meter (which could not accommodate concentric cable directly)?

Kind Regards, John

It's a concentric anti-tamper cable, designed to prevent electric theft. Fully moulded with a set size at the meter end to fit most meter centres, and the other end has a fixed moulded live and a longer neutral which is formed and cut (too many variations in cutout sizes).

Not seen these days, but used extensively in the 80s and 90s. Quicker and neater than tails too!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_teleswitch

That's interesting. So the economy7 rate is turned on remotely by the energy supplier? Is it just me that's thinking, hmm, small transmitter placed next to the meter, broadcasting my own economy7 signal whenever I turned on the kettle/oven/frier/steamer/etc?

transmitter placed next to the meter, broadcasting my own economy7 signal

If you can find and duplicate the embedded coded signal! :confused:

There must be some mechanism by which the code is generated and connected to a meter, so it may be possible to work out what it's meant to be.

Failing that, one can simply record and retransmit the whole transmission. Classic replay attack.

Failing that, one can simply record and retransmit the whole transmission. Classic replay attack.
That's assuming that (a) you can find the signal and (b) that the system is so unsophisticated that it will respond to an identical re-transmission of something it's already received. Even I wouldn't design a system with that large a moth hole in it - at the very least, I would expected there to be some (encoded) 'unique' date/time information in each transmission :)

Kind Regards, John

westie101 wrote:

Er, no I didn't write that!! Bad John W2 :evil:

ekmdgrf

If it could be done, don't you think it had? I can tell you it hasn't been done

If it could be done, don't you think it had? I can tell you it hasn't been done

How can you tell me that it has not been done? That's like when I was at school and the head of year assured me that he'd caught everyone who had played truant. The whole point of the exercise is not to be detected and so therefore the people that do it successfully do not show up on official records.

I do preemptivly conceed several points:

1) It's technically hard to do. If you have the skills you're probably too busy arguing about 2E0's lacking CW skills to have the time to do it

2) It's probably a lot easier and gets you a better cost reduction just to by-pass the meter

3) It could be detected by statistical anaysis, so you'd have to be very restrained as to how much you actually abstracted.

4) Again, it's not going to make you rich.

Or do you drive around with a DF rig looking for rogue transmitters?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back