Is this feasible. 3 questions.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just want to make this design for a shed. Is this possible with the measurements. It is half brick construction and flat roof.

1. Will 100x50mm joists be good or do I need 145x50mm.
2. Which side should roof joists run. L-R or Front- Back.
3. Finally will the structure look ok given the measurements, or look crammed. Just want other's opinion on the design side.

Thanks all. View media item 81214

Sponsored Links
Run your joists on the shortest span (3metres) but you'll need the 145x50 to bridge a 3M span, unless you want a saggy roof. Why a flat roof, a peaked or single slope would solve a lot of drainage (and leakage) problems.

If you want a perspective view-point, make yourself a cardboard model and see what it looks like.

Thanks guys.

Noseall: Still not perfect like Tony's 😛 though.

Jack: By slope you mean (rear wall a bit higher than front ).I am restricted for height,ie,2.5 metre. I will be using some ferrings to achieve this. My footings are dug atm. I have gone down 800 and 300 wide.

What is the best material to use. Fibre roof or blow felt. I will be using OSB board. I suppose cant use tiles for such a low pitch, if i do decide to raise the rear wall for a slope roof.

Sponsored Links
What is the best material to use. Fibre roof or blow felt. I will be using OSB board. I suppose cant use tiles for such a low pitch, if i do decide to raise the rear wall for a slope roof.
Have you checked out the felt shingles. They come in about six colours and are in strips of about six "tiles" length. Very easy and starightforward to fix. They do need an underlay for maximum durability, on a OSB base.
They also have a minimum pitch at which they can be used.

They have something like a 10 year guarranteed life and they can be simply re-shingled over the top when it is required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back