Joist problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Hope everyone is in good health!

The house I live in is around a hundred years old. Last year I replaced all floor boards and some joists in the front room, learnt a lot from the experience. Now, I am doing the other front room, this is separated by a stair case and this room has a bay window. All floor boards have been lifted, there is some rot at the end of some joists. The two little joists in front of the bay window are embedded in the brick of the bay window, the ends are rotten.

1. Do i replace the little joists like for like? They are 5cm by 7cm. I want to avoid removing bricks.

2. There is some sort of abomination that the two little joists rest on, would you suggest building a brick pier of some sort?

3. There are some loose bricks in the bay window, some large gaps and a line of bricks that have holes in them, liquid dpc? Do I point them and then use a 5:1:1 mixture of SLC? How would you apply this? Do you dampen the wall first? What thickness?

4. The larger joists that have a bit of rot, could I cut a bit off and then just slide the joist along as there is a bit off over hang at the other end

5. The air vents are of the iron type and have quite large holes, I have had mice and slugs, what mesh would you recommend and how best to attach to the vents.

I was last on here last year and posted a pic of a clay pipe sticking out of the side of the wall under the joists in the other front room, this clay pipe is a way for air to be circulated and it passes under the cellar stairs into the room that I am working on now. Hope I haven't bored you.
View media item 81372

Sponsored Links
1. You can replace them but you need to stop them from rotting again, make sure they dont sit directly on bricks, either use joist hangers on DPC

2. WOW. This is lovely... No idea what to do with it. I think what has happened is the floor started to sag so they have propped it up with those small joists, then they sagged so they put rocks under it. I think the proper solution is to have the joists reinforced or tied together with proper nogging. Cant see any reason for that other than a sagging floor

3. Looks like injected DPC. Just repoint, if needed take the bricks out and motar them back in

4. I thought about doing that with my own, what about cutting them and resting on joist hangers instead of the brickwork? Then they wont rot this time

5. Remove and replace with plastic ones from B&Q or wickes. You will need 2 modern vents to replace one old iron one

Thanks shef61,

1. How would I reinforce the little joists? Would they not need supporting from underneath?

2. I would like to keep the iron vents, I am able to reach them from inside the room in order to put mesh on.

3. If I were to put the larger joists on hangers, would that not entail more work? The joists are on a brick ledge at the moment.

4. There is a lot of soil, rubble under the sub floor, do I remove as much as possible in order to aid air circulation?

vents are far to low,rain water will be getting in.
remove old 1s,brick up and install new 1s 6" above outside level.this avoids splash.

Sponsored Links
Thanks gregers,

If i did replace new for old 6 inches higher, what about inside the room? the height of vent would be same height as skirting board. how could i get around that issue?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back