Do I need wiring certificate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am selling my house and had an electric fire fitted a few years ago. It plugs into a wall socket but does it need a wiring certificate? Also I fitted a 13a socket in my hallway outside a cupboard and the wiring from that plugs into a socket inside the cupboard, does this also need a certificate? Many thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
In theroy every electrical item should have a certificate of some type be it being type tested and although there will be paper work you will never see it or tested as a portable appliance, or minor works or full installation certificate.

However the IET/BSi recommends that every ten years of on change of occupant which ever is shorter that an electrical installation condition report (EICR) is done.

As to who does this is down to the solicitors he who pays the piper calls the tune and an EICR will have limitations to how far it goes and is a professional opinion which does have some lea way so the seller can clearly select and instruct for a report to be made which favours his position and the buy likewise.

Until bought there is not a new occupier so the report could be 9 years old and clearly a new buyer does not want to find out after buying it needs a re-wire.

But Part P and BS7671 differ slightly in their requirements the approved document for Part P advocates like for like replacements not requiring inspection and testing but the BS7671 has no such clause.

Personally I would not worry about small jobs these will all be covered when an EICR is completed. You will not find a 10 year old EICR as at time it was called a Periodic Condition Report (PIR) and before 2004 there was a general lack of inspection and testing so it is common to find a home with no test paperwork.

In theroy the solicitor could ask the council for all the registered work certificated post 2005 when Part P came in but I was told that scheme members don't send copies of test results to scheme providers so can't see how the council council could have all reports on record so in practice all the council could do is say in general terms what would has been done since 2005 and in England the things which are now requiring registering could be seen by anyone doing a quick inspection so really no point asking council.

So personally I would not worry. You could fill in a Minor Works Certificate for the socket you fitted but the cost of hiring test equipment even if you have the skill to use it would not be worth while and since you fitted it only you can sign the Minor Works and as a buyer would you trust a certificate signed by the seller?

If I was a buyer I would want an EICR done by some one I could trust and done close to point of contract changes and would not be really interested in any paper work done years ago.

I wouldnt worry about it.
The buyer will only want documentation for major works done, like adding a new circuit, a new consumer unit or if a kitchen/bathroom had been refurbished - with obvious electrical works included.

I agree with TTC. In fact, both the items you mention are plugged in to sockets - so you could simply unplug them and leave a buyer to decide whether they wanted to plug them back in.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Or -- " that was how it was when i bought the house "
One has to be careful about that one. People have all sorts of fears about the possible imagined/perceived consequences of not having appropriate documentation (maybe even not having notified notifiable work) in relation to the electrical installation when they come to sell the house. Most of those fears are essentially ungrounded, and the very worst that can usually happening is for a buyer trying to use the situation as an argument for trying to talk down the price.

However, the one thing which, at least theoretically, can get one into legal/financial trouble is by lying in what one says to the buyer, and what one writes/declares on the conveyancing forms. One may often feel that one 'would not get caught', but it's worth remembering that cables and things like CUs etc. often bear a data of manufacture (or other 'dating' information) - so one could get found out if one untruthfully answers 'no' to the standard conveyancing question (on Form TA6) as to whether any electrical work has been undertaken since 1st January 2005.

Kind Regards, John

Indeed that is true and an even surer way of getting "caught out" is by having lived in a place for some considerable time and having brown/blue wiring evident. I'm sure there is a market "opportunity" for someone with an old stock of stranded red/black twin and earth.

Indeed that is true and an even surer way of getting "caught out" is by having lived in a place for some considerable time and having brown/blue wiring evident.
There is a small loophole, which means that an awful lot of electrical work is said to have been undertaken in 2004 :) Brown/blue cable was available for around a year before Part P came into force on 1st Jan 2005. Of course, more recent cables (and probably some older) bear a date of manufacture - in which case one may well be 'stuffed'!!
I'm sure there is a market "opportunity" for someone with an old stock of stranded red/black twin and earth.
There are many such people - just look on eBay, but it's usually a ridiculous price.

As I said, the sensible course is simply not to lie during house sale. If one tells the truth (no matter how 'bad' the truth is!), it's extremely unlikely that any significant harm will result.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back