Scrapping laptops.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a couple of laptops I need to get rid of. If I remove the hard drives is that enough or might data still be stored on them somewhere?

TIA

Sponsored Links
Hd removal should do it, but if you take out the ram there's literally no other memory in the machine.. i think..

Laptop- "Stop, Dave. Stop. My mind is going...... I can feel it"

Hd removal should do it, but if you take out the ram there's literally no other memory in the machine.. i think..

Other than the L1 and L2 cache, BIOS flash or EEPROM, and the various sundry RAM and flash or EEPROM in peripherals..

No, none of this stores anything you'd be concerned about. The RAM doesn't for more than a few minutes, either.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

The laptops are broke otherwise I would have tried to find someone who had a use for them.

Just worried that someone could recover data from them after I got rid.

Even broken laptops can be reused - usually for parts.

Try looking on ebay.

Other than the L1 and L2 cache, BIOS flash or EEPROM, and the various sundry RAM and flash or EEPROM in peripherals..

No, none of this stores anything you'd be concerned about. The RAM doesn't for more than a few minutes, either.

Found myself back here wondering if you were being sarcastic?....and about the 'not for more than a few minutes' part....?

I am now in same position as OP wondering if to sell x2 old laptops each that had HD die on me.

So is it as simple as removing HD?
Thanks,

Found myself back here wondering if you were being sarcastic?....and about the 'not for more than a few minutes' part....?

Sort of. There's lots of little bits of memory in a machine, it just doesn't store anything of yours. DRAM stores data for an unspecified, often very unpredictable period after power-off.

So is it as simple as removing HD?
Thanks,

Yes. I was simply point out that there is most certainly other memory in the system.

The only storage on a computer which remains after all power has been removed is the hard drive (or other storage media such as SSD cards and USB sticks. RAM loses its content rapidly on power-off, so no problem there.

If you remove the hard drive and attack it with a sledge-hammer, it is unlikely any data on it would be recoverable. The laptop can then be sent for recycling sure that there is nothing left which could be problematical.

I wonder if it so problematic, to sell a faulty computer, 2nd hand, and really worry about data being retrieved, that is so sensitive?

Who is the buyer? Someone that can't afford to buy new, or for spares? They are buying for spares, as they don't work, what data can they get that can't be had by hacking a working computer, by an expert, with top end equipment?

I was given a broken computer recently, and I managed to revive the hdisk, It's got data on Win7 to boot, and lots of boring text regarding his B.sc. No passwords, no private data.

I think an attacker would prefer a server or such type from a business, rather than an individual.

You will have more chance of selling them with the HDD.

Running DBAN on them for several cycles will clean them thoroughly just leaving you to then install linux mint etc.

Sponsored Links
Back