Toilet Filling valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I have a toilet with a bottom inlet fill valve. The valve does not stop when the tank is full. I bough a servicing kit (Armitage Shanks/Ideal standard) but it made no difference.

Any advice please? Could it be that the water pressure is too high? Or anything else?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
when you lift the float up with your finger, does the flow stop?

A new valve is not at all expensive. Consider investing in a new one.

Is your old valve a traditional ballcock, or is it the small Armitage Shanks that looks like a Torbeck?

Thanks guys,

It is a new installation, so the valve is absolutely new (small Armitage SHanks).
When I lift the float, the water float does not stop.

I know a new valve is not expensive, but I am not sure it will help me, it may be a pressure or something else?

Sponsored Links
it might have been assembled wrong. Is the water coming out through the plastic bridge, and down the flexible tube?

It won't be the pressure.

They are prone to grit or scale, but if you have had it apart to replace the diaphragm, no doubt it is clean now.

I have bought a replacement fill valve today. And it is the same story! It does not stop, I have connected it to the water supply (have not installed inside the tank yet) and tried lifting the float manually, the water does not stop. I started doubting if I am doing something wrong, but I did install a couple of those before and it has never been a problem. It is just a matter of connecting it to the water supply (flexible pipe in my case)

Unless the replacement valve is faulty as well...hmmm
Any thoughts guys?

It's called an equilibrium valve, they won't stop when the float is lifted manually but will when it's lifted by the water level in the cistern.

when you lift the float, the valve will shut off, but it takes a couple of seconds.

the float has no eyes and does not know if it has been lifted by your finger or by the rising water.

Thanks all,

I will try installing it into the tank tonight, to see if it shuts by the water level.
Should it be shutting if I test it with the air? FOr example if I blow into the water inlet pipe and lift the float manually, should it be shutting?

Does anybody know if Fluidmaster is compatible with Armitage Shank Shandrigam toilet? I will try Fluidmaster

The higher the water pressure, the quicker the float valve shuts off.

So if I have a low water pressure, does it mean it may not even shut off? The toilet is on the first floor and I have the tank on the rooh, i.e. around 2 meter abowe the valve.

Thanks,

Just an update,

The valve started working when I installed it into the tank. I had to submerge it for a few seconds after installing, and then it worked just fine. Not sure why, maybe it requires some water around the diafragm to start working, or maybe as it was mentioned it needs and equlibrium.

Thanks all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back