Electric vehicle charging point

Sponsored Links
unless there is an interlock, how many people will drive away without unplugging the car!!?

But enough people have driven away from petrol pumps with the nozzle still in the tank, nearly all causing damage, many causing fires after doing so.

Have interlocks been introduced on these vehicles?

Sponsored Links
No, but if a refuelling system was being designed from scratch, maybe they would be.

Not sure I understand your point - surely you aren't saying that because there are no interlocks on petrol/diesel pumps then they shouldn't put them into EV recharging systems, even though we know that without them people will drive off whilst plugged in?

No, but if a refuelling system was being designed from scratch, maybe they would be.
It's not really the refuelling system, but the vehicles - all that would be needed would be for the vehicle to be disabled when something was inserted into its filler pipe (very easy to implement), and vehicles are being 'designed from scratch' all the time.
Not sure I understand your point - surely you aren't saying that because there are no interlocks on petrol/diesel pumps then they shouldn't put them into EV recharging systems, even though we know that without them people will drive off whilst plugged in?
I took his point to be that if such measures are (rightly or wrongly) deemed unnecessary with liquid fuel, they would probably also be (again, rightly or wrongly) deemed unnecessary with charging systems. ... unless, that is, you know that it is much more likely that people will 'drive off whilst plugged in' than to drive off with a fuel nozzle still inserted in their vehicle.

Kind Regards, John

I'm told by a reliable source that petrol hoses are designed to pull out very easily without major damage, because it is extremely common to drive off with them still deployed.

I'm surprised the guidance is not out there in the regs now EV's are on sale.
Has anyone seen, let alone read, Amendment 2 of BS7671:2008, which I understand specifically relates to these issues?

Kind Regards, John

http://professional-electrician.com/technical/electric-vehicle-charging

"Discussions have been concluded, agreement has been reached and a new Section 722, Electric Vehicle Charging Installations, has been issued by the IET as Amendment No. 2: 2013 to BS 7671:2008. This is free to view, however there is a charge of £5 to download a copy of it. To do so click here."

Has anyone seen, let alone read, Amendment 2 of BS7671:2008, which I understand specifically relates to these issues?
http://professional-electrician.com/technical/electric-vehicle-charging ... "Discussions have been concluded, agreement has been reached and a new Section 722, Electric Vehicle Charging Installations, has been issued by the IET as Amendment No. 2: 2013 to BS 7671:2008. This is free to view, however there is a charge of £5 to download a copy of it. To do so click here."
...so, my question remains - has anyone viewed (for free) or downloaded (for £5) this Amendment - and, if so, what does it say?

Kind Regards, John

more aimed at securespark :)
I realise that, given that it was I who brought Amd2 to his attention :)

I love this for a bit of a regulation:
...An exemption is made for dwellings. None of the following requirements need be applied for the charging point at a dwelling if it is not reasonably practicable to do so. This means that the requirements of this regulation may or may not be applied to a dwelling.
(referring to the prohibition of PME supplies for outdoor car charging) ... particularly given that one imagines that a high proportion of car charging will be related to dwellings!))

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back