questions about SWA and earthing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just have some questions which im abit unsure about.

when wiring swa cable up to an outdoor socket, how do you actually earth the steel in the cable. the outside socket has 2 earth links. I assume one of the cores for the swa goes into 1 link, then what about the steel wire? does this connect up to the other earth by using some core to attach to the banjo ring?

the double socket is to power my pond pump and filter. they draw a combined 36watts. so would 1.5 or 2.5mm core be used?

btw, im not intending to do this myself, just curious. will have an electrician sometime later this year to install it all for me

Sponsored Links
You need an swa gland kit and either: a crimp lug (and crimping tool), brass nut and bolt and a bit of cable to crimp and connect the banjo on the gland kit to the earth terminals; or a piranha nut instead of the nut bolt and banjo...

Sponsored Links
Generally 3 core is better, as one core is used as the earth, and this also gets connected to the cable gland which then earths the armour.

It gives you a better earth, but also means if some of the armour should fail you will still have an adequate earth, as the core inside should hopefully remain untouched.

Generally 3 core is better, as one core is used as the earth, and this also gets connected to the cable gland which then earths the armour. ... It gives you a better earth, but also means if some of the armour should fail you will still have an adequate earth, as the core inside should hopefully remain untouched.
That's always been my (intuitive) view, but it seems that quite a lot of electricians think otherwise!

Kind Regards, John

My colleague got demoted for using the SWA only when supplying a container as when the container was moved on a crane the SWA pulled out of the gland and live shorted against the container causing the container to become live while on the crane.

My colleague had not expected anyone to move a container while power was still connected.

So where there is a spare copper core to use as earth I would use it.

However in your case supply to a pond using TT may be a better option depending on the supply earth at the house. Ask your electrician as he may use an earth rod and not use the house earth at all.

However in your case supply to a pond using TT may be a better option depending on the supply earth at the house.
If there are fish in the pond then introducing the house "earth" into the water could be very un-comfortable for the fish. Unless the water is totally isolated from the surrounding soil any difference in potentials of the house "earth" and true ground will create some current in the water and fish are very sensitive to electrical current in the water around them.

My colleague got demoted for using the SWA only when supplying a container as when the container was moved on a crane the SWA pulled out of the gland and live shorted against the container causing the container to become live while on the crane.

My colleague had not expected anyone to move a container while power was still connected.
Unless he was specifically told not to use the armour or he installed it without consent then he isn't at fault, I take it he wasn't a member of a union?

However in your case supply to a pond using TT may be a better option depending on the supply earth at the house.
If there are fish in the pond then introducing the house "earth" into the water could be very un-comfortable for the fish. Unless the water is totally isolated from the surrounding soil any difference in potentials of the house "earth" and true ground will create some current in the water and fish are very sensitive to electrical current in the water around them.

I'm wondering if the equipment for ponds are double insulated / SELV hence earthing is matter less?

Fascinating, and very, very unfair.

No one should have been attempting to move something like that with a live cable connected to it.

The same would easily apply to repositioning some very heavy machinery in a factory. Exactly the same.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back