Can I plaster over this? (pic)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm new to DIY plastering - Before I've only plastered a small ceiling in a cloakroom and jointed some new plasterboard before tiling.

The pics below are my bathroom after I've stripped everything out. As you can see, removal of the previous tiles has left all the adhesive on the walls that doesn't want to come off without wrecking the boards. If I can, I've prefer to plaster over all of this. rather than replace all of the boards in this room also.

Can I go ahead with a scratch coat of easy-fill and then a skim with multi-finish or should I be thinking about laying a bonding coat?

In the very worst places, the depth of the roughness on the walls as they are is perhaps 5mm.

Some of the room will be splash-panelled, some tiled, and some painted.

Cheers, if you can help :)

Tom

007_zps37fb104d.jpg

011_zps637b5950.jpg

008_zpsbf2f59bb.jpg

Sponsored Links
Skimming over that would be simple. Just make sure all the old "loose" tile adhesive has been removed, don't worry about the the stuff that's well stuck. Also make sure all the tapes on any joints are secure, if not, replace.
To plaster it, put thin coat beads on all external corners, give the old wall/s a coat of pva to kill any suction, let the pva dry, then coat the walls again with pva, and plaster onto it right away while it's still wet/tacky. Doing one wall at at a time would be great practice for a you, especially if you have had a go at plastering a ceiling.
I'd put on a coat of bonding plaster first, just to flush the surface off, let it set, ( go dark), then put on the 2 coats of multi finish. It'll turn out perfect. ;)

Can I go ahead with a scratch coat of easy-fill and then a skim with multi-finish or should I be thinking about laying a bonding coat?

Easi fill is intended as a surface filler that you can sand.
It is not intended for laying as an undercoat plaster.
Bonding is better.

Nothing more for me to add - Roughcaster's advice spot on as always.
Have fun - good to see another diyer having a go :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back