Damp window reveals & condensation on glass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I know there has been much discussion already on this topic but would be really grateful for advice on this as we are tired of living with this.
We wake up every morning & there is condensation on the bedroom windows & damp on the reveals. We recently moved from our victorian mid terraced where we didnt have this problem at all. So not sure how our living arrangements have changed much from just moving house.
We ventilate the house during cooking, showering etc & open the windows every morning.
I know some advice is to ventilate all the time, but who really wants to sleep with bedroom windows open all night when it cold, damp & windy? Plus we cant really do that in the babys room.
We keep the house around 18-20 degrees, we do use a condensing tumble dryer (with the window open too) but not every day.
We have cavity & loft insulation.
We are getting to the point now where we are seriously thinking about getting the windows replaced. Do you think this would go some way to solving the problem?
Or do we also have to get the external/window walls fitted with insulated board & reskimmed.
I hope you can help, Im just really disappointed we've moved to a bigger house, doubled our mortgage & have this problem!
Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
Condensation means excess moisture, and lack of ventilation - so water condenses on cold surfaces.
Are there any draughts around the windows, causing them to be maybe colder than usual?
New windows to the highest spec would definitely help, but won't be the magic cure here.
A dehumidifier could effectively reduce the water content in your rooms, but do see if you can ventilate more first.
John :)

That looks like some pretty serious damp patch's on the window reveals, Could be a leak or some sort of cold bridging, Possibly even the windows were not sealed onto the cills correctly.

Can you post some pics of the outside of the windows (including the walls and above the windows).
Are all the windows this bad for damp on the walls?

Sponsored Links
I'm with Gazman on this, looks like damp penetrating through!

Looking at the photos more carefully, I have to agree with the others......there is dampness penetrating in from outside.
Check the sealant on the outside of the frames for gaps, for a kick off. Is the outside of the building rendered?
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back