Gas Meter - this looks dangerous, who's responsible?

I find, very often, the meters are originally fitted correctly then the cupboard, shelf, bracket or whatever is supporting/holding it is altered making the installation less than perfect. If the house changes occupants the new people blame the installer.

Sponsored Links
I find, very often, the meters are originally fitted correctly then the cupboard, shelf, bracket or whatever is supporting/holding it is altered making the installation less than perfect. If the house changes occupants the new people blame the installer.

this is true, Kitchen fitters are bastards for this.

OP your meter can not be moved to the left as it would block the ECV. It is the responsibility of your supplier to maintain the metering equipment.

As has been said, your meter is in an AR situation and should be rectified. Rather than contacting the supplier to put a bracket on it and fix it where practicable. If you want the space for a fancy time saving dishwasher, you should spend the money having it moved outside.

They will fix it free if you phone up saying you smell gas and the meter is unstable, but unless it suits the fitter to do it they will leave it in the same place. If you request it moved they will compile a stonking bill and tell you to get your own fitter to connect the outlet again!

Up to the outlet is their responsibility the outlet is yours.

Tell them it's dangerous and try a little "negotiation" with the fitter they send to stabilise it ;)

Just use your common sense and put a support under the meter.
It really isn't rocket science :)

Sponsored Links
If you want the space for a fancy time saving dishwasher, you should spend the money having it moved outside.

Thanks, I have a disability where I cannot physically stand there and do washing up, so I got a juicer to try to help with energy, but I can't face washing it, so for me, I consider a dishwasher is absolutely essential. I only work 29 hours a week, so I don't have a huge disposable income, so this purchase could be the difference to my life that enables me to go back full time..

I'll let you know what happens..

Christ that looks rough.

Would have been better screwing it to the wall it was on, assuming it was just above the hole.

you may want to ring Npower back and find out if their policy to leave meters capped off once they have moved them less than 1m. At BG, when a meter is moved, we reconnect the supply so you can continue to use your appliances. Lazy bastard springs to mind.

The work that has been carried out would literally take around 5 minutes.

Yeah, I specifically wanted it moved to the left cupboard, so I can remodel the right side of the kitchen, if they'd left it where it was, they would have reconnected the pipework, but it would have been in the way.

The meter was actually in the hole, half in half out, the units had been installed around it..

I'm happy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back