grout colours

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

This may seem like a strange question with a very obvious answer but I want to know if I am correct in my thinking...

I have ordered some brown grout to go on cream tiles as I was told over time the grout with turn brown so it's best to have them that colour to start with so it's not noticeable... this is only on the floor tiles though the others on the wall are cream grout.

They have arrived today with my tiles and grout and they have sent me limestone grout and not brown I am being told it's the same thing but when I look around on Google I see a huge difference as you would expect. I presume I am correct and it's not limestone but rather the brown I want?

Thanks

James

Sponsored Links
Grout can discolour , depends on it's location [which you fail to mention].
Generally avoid light colours on floors I prefer grey, lighter colours are fine on walls. IMO dark grout with light tiles looks cack.
No reason grout should discolour unless you fail to keep it clean.

They might have done you a favour there. I think Ivory (off white / cream) will look much better than brown.

If you want to keep it clean you could seal it with something like lithofin stain stop and/or clean it periodically with Dettol mould and mildew remover - excellent stuff.

Thanks sorry it's in the bathroom the cream grout is for the walls and the limestone would be for the floor tiles. The only reason we went for Brown is because of what we were told so it made sense.

So would you say limestone would be good with cream floor tiles in the bathroom?

Sponsored Links
What looks okay depends on the look you're after - narrow grout lines and similar coloured grout to make the grout disappear vs wider lines with a contrast grout to make it stand out as a feature.

I'd have thought cream tiles + limestone grout should look good.

Thanks I am just trying to work out if we would need to take it back or to keep it if it would look better...

James

I'd say keep it assuming it's proper bagged cement based stuff. I think they've done you a favour by supplying the colours that 99% of people would go for. Brown grout would be a "brave" choice.

Yeah it appears to be a powder type stuff you mix. Which apparently is better than the ready mixed stuff..

I have found some colour charts and it looks like it would go Well anyway.

James

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back