Extension Quotes?......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm looking to have an extension done to my house which will turn my house from a three bed detatched into a 5 bed.

I have put out for three quotes and the prices seem to vary quite significantly (£44000, £62000 and £92000)

Ive never been in the position of having building work done before so am pretty much in the dark but it doesn't feel right having such a variation in prices.......is this common?

All of the builders have used the same drawings. Ironically my 'favourite' builder is the dearest one!!!!! but can I really justify over double the price?

What do you think?

Sponsored Links
Quite a variation I agree.

Not sure how much detail was shown on your planning drawings but the likelihood is that each builder has priced it differently because there is insufficient detail. Did you issue a specification as well?

Probably worth asking them to give you a detailed breakdown of what they have allowed for and what they have not allowed for. That way you can compare them more accurately.

Sponsored Links
I honestly can't see the point of handing out planning drawings if accuracy is what you are after.

Planning drawings or Building Regs drawings?

Planning drawings

That explains it - probably pretty drawings with people and trees in them(?) but little or nothing in the way of constructional detail.

It's the construction details builders need for pricing, otherwise it's just guesswork on their part.

I'm also starting the process of getting drawings done for an extension - the question I would ask, is why on earth didn't any of the builders tell the OP that they require more detailed drawings to give better information ? :)

Planning drawings or Building Regs drawings?

Planning drawings

That explains it - probably pretty drawings with people and trees in them(?) but little or nothing in the way of constructional detail.

It's the construction details builders need for pricing, otherwise it's just guesswork on their part.

I'm also starting the process of getting drawings done for an extension - the question I would ask, is why on earth didn't any of the builders tell the OP that they require more detailed drawings to give better information ? :)
Prolly crap builders or they don't need the work.

why on earth didn't any of the builders tell the OP that they require more detailed drawings to give better information ? :)
Because ambiguity favours the quoter and this information should have come earlier - i.e. from the architect.

I would not waste time personally, if I were handed a plans drawing other than to offer a vague £'per sq/m² price on their doorstep. Not all builders are the same, some like to make loads of money.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back