Issue with building work: advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Would appreciate any advice, 6 months ago, I hired a company (recommended by a friend) to fix long standing damp work on my Mums house, they painted/sealed external walls and also put in new windows and doors, plus some rendering on the roof. It looked good.

By the beginning of September, damp started to appear on the newly plastered wall downstairs. After repeated calls to the company and they kept promising to get a damp proof company round, nothing happened. So I contacted a separate damp proof company and they told me the job from the first company was 'Cowboy', ie Mum's house has rising damp, the external paint was not sealed etc. I am going round there next week with the second guy to go through these issues in detail.

Advice, should I cut my losses with the first guy and get the second guy to fix everything, go back to the original builders and tell him to fix the thing, as was paid for?

I am still waiting for the original damp proof company to come round and look and my well get another view from a third company.

Understandably Mum is getting quite anxious and I just want this sorted asap.

What would you guys do?

Sponsored Links
So without even looking at the job the second guy has already called the first lot cowboys
and now wants to get a better idea of how much more he can screw you for :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

What exactly were the damp issues your mum was having prior to any works taking Place.
Why were new doors and windows fitted to fix damp problems
:?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back