Boiler problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Vaillant ecoTEC Plus 418 wall mounted boiler that is 4 years old on an open vent system with hot water tank and CH. This replaced an old Potterton Netaheat Boiler. A cleaning filter is not fitted
although I understand that they are now compulsory as standard.
Had to switch off the boiler at the mains as it made a loud "banging noise" from within the boiler itself.
It is serviced annually by a corgi-registered plumber.
No HW or CH now.
Any suggestions as to what this could be? A dirty rad' system perhaps? and the boiler can't take the dirt.? Not sure if it was cleaned 4 years ago but I know sentinel was applied.
Appreciate any help. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
I have a Vaillant ecoTEC Plus 418 wall mounted boiler that is 4 years old on an open vent system with hot water tank and CH. This replaced an old Potterton Netaheat Boiler. A cleaning filter is not fitted
although I understand that they are now compulsory as standard.
Had to switch off the boiler at the mains as it made a loud "banging noise" from within the boiler itself.
It is serviced annually by a corgi-registered plumber.
No HW or CH now.
Any suggestions as to what this could be? A dirty rad' system perhaps? and the boiler can't take the dirt.? Not sure if it was cleaned 4 years ago but I know sentinel was applied.
Appreciate any help. Thank you.
#

Filters arei NOT compulsory
Gas Safe required not necessarily CORGI

When does the bang occur - is it in firing up?

Be aware this forum cannot give gas repair advice, other than to call a RGI

So why dont you call the engineer who services it to see whats wrong?

You could check the pump though to see if its seized up. See the FAQ.

Tony

Thank you for your replies.
The boiler does fire up but then it bangs (loud banging) as if something is loose inside, a bit like a washing machine that is overloaded and tries to spin but cant very well. No "CODE" is displayed either.
Have called the engineer and I meant he is gas-safe not corgi.
Just have to wait and see.
This house has nine rads but two are switched off with a hot water-tank, and am beginning to think that the Vaillant EcoTECPlus 418 is not up to the job perhaps with that number of rads AND hot water to boot.
Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Why after four years do you think the boiler isin't up to the job ? Chances are the pump is worn out which is hardly the boilers fault.

Why after four years do you think the boiler isin't up to the job ? Chances are the pump is worn out which is hardly the boilers fault.

Have had a "magnaclean filter/cleaner fitted and wow the difference. The gunk that was and still is in my system is amazing.
Ongoing solution with an open vent system is most definitely the magnaclean cleaner.

Or better still, a powerflush and a magnetic filter fitted.

The filters do not collect all debri on the first pass, so it is still going through your boiler

Or better still, a powerflush and a magnetic filter fitted.

The filters do not collect all debri on the first pass, so it is still going through your boiler

The Magnaclean is now a permanent solution over time.
Don't agree with powerflushes on an old system like mine and way too expensive anyway.
Thanks for your reply.

The mag filter is an alternative to properly cleaning a system.

If yours had been properly cleaned when boiler fitted then you would not have had any problems.

Tony

Above are all out of systems that seemed clean on draining.

These magnets had to be cleaned numerous times during the process.

Fitting a Magnaclean is not an alternative to Powerflushing but a cheap fit and hope for the best.

A powerflush isn't expensive when you consider the cost of a void warranty, component failure etc due to sludge

Fitting a Magnaclean is not an alternative to Powerflushing but a cheap fit and hope for the best.

A powerflush isn't expensive when you consider the cost of a void warranty, component failure etc due to sludge

The only problem with a powerflush is the chemicals will find any weak spot in your rads and they could start to leak especially if they are old, as mine are.

With old rads it is possible to use non acidic chemicals which will minimise any pin holing of rads.

Most problems I see are leaking valve glands anyway.

The main feature of power flushing is the high water movement velocities.

Tony

With old rads it is possible to use non acidic chemicals which will minimise any pin holing of rads.

Most problems I see are leaking valve glands anyway.

The main feature of power flushing is the high water movement velocities.

Tony

Yes thanks for that, but so far the Magnaclean combined with Sentinel x400 is doing a great job. I shall leave the latter in the system for about 2 weeks (4 weeks is the max') and clean the filter till its permanently clean and save the expense. At least my Vaillant bolier ecotec 418 plus is running real smooth with no "banging".

The only problem with a powerflush is the chemicals will find any weak spot in your rads and they could start to leak especially if they are old, as mine are.

If they are that bad a powerflush is just speeding up the enevitable, they will pop a leak eventually.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back