Reversing light

I think you can have a "work lamp" on the back of the car that's as bright as you like, if the reversing lights aren't bright enough. ;)

Sponsored Links
I think you can have a "work lamp" on the back of the car that's as bright as you like, if the reversing lights aren't bright enough. ;)
I think that's illegal, or at least could get you into a complicated argument with the police. I remember reading years ago that on normal road vehicles "work lights" other than legal reversing lights need to be linked to the ignition, so that they can't be operated with the engine running.

It's true you'd be on a sticky wicket. I can't see anything about not using them with the engine running, but Reg 27 of the Road Vehicle Lighting Regs says a work lamp must not be:

"Used so as to be lit except for the purpose of illuminating a working area, accident breakdown or works in the vicinity of the vehicle".

so you'd need to convince the copper that the area being illuminated by the lam was a "working area", which might stretch credibility a bit!

Interestingly, although the regs limit the wattage to 24 Watts apiece, there is no requirement for intensity, so I would have thought we could get some very bright LED bulbs that were well within that power rating. I suppose that would invalidate the approval requirements for the lamps though. (they need to bear an approval marking if the vehicle was firs used after 1986).

It's true you'd be on a sticky wicket. I can't see anything about not using them with the engine running, but Reg 27 of the Road Vehicle Lighting Regs says a work lamp must not be:

"Used so as to be lit except for the purpose of illuminating a working area, accident breakdown or works in the vicinity of the vehicle".

so you'd need to convince the copper that the area being illuminated by the lam was a "working area", which might stretch credibility a bit!

Interestingly, although the regs limit the wattage to 24 Watts apiece, there is no requirement for intensity, so I would have thought we could get some very bright LED bulbs that were well within that power rating. I suppose that would invalidate the approval requirements for the lamps though. (they need to bear an approval marking if the vehicle was firs used after 1986).
Interesting thanks. I hadn't looked it up, I think I read that in a car magazine ages ago. Might have been thought of as a safe way of wiring them I suppose. As usual if the coppers can't get you with one rule they'll use another! :)

Sponsored Links
And now - back to the record.....
OP buildersbutt, how old is this vehicle if it doesn't have one fitted?

Back