Are roofers crazy?

A few months ago I saw a thatcher working on a ladder that was laid on the roof. The foot of the ladder was on the roof of the thatcher's van. There was a work platform and ladder "fixing" attached to the roof.

Personally I feel that a slightly precarious working location makes one look out for one's own safety while a "totally safe" working location allows ( encourages ) one to pay less attention to safety.

Provided the risk assessors have identified and provided for every possible hazard then their "totally safe" working location may be possible.

Personally I prefer to protect myself and not rely on some one else to be 100% accurate.

Sponsored Links
It's quite common here for roofers to rest the foot of their roof ladder in the zinc or galvanised guttering.

Sponsored Links
if I remember right it's 20-30 mins max duration working off a ladder.

Someone on here used to have a "signature", for want of a better word - "If you make everything idiot-proof, Nature will just evolve a better idiot." Absolutely true, IME.

I swear by all that's holy, some day one of our staff will be found, all bloated and blue. And the root cause analysis will be that, although I gave them all step-by-step instructions on breathing in, I hadn't got round to sending them the "breathing out" documented procedure.............

When I was a youngster, people learnt through experience and from that came what used to be called 'common sense'.

Today, we have that wonderful 'Health and Safety' thing that the 'Nanny State' put in place to guide us because we're all so thick.

That must be better than common sense... mustn't it?

so how does h&s work when lot of the workforce now doesnt speak the mother tongue?
isnt that in itself a breech?

so how does h&s work when lot of the workforce now doesnt speak the mother tongue?

The irony of using the phrase "mother tongue", then "breech", rather than "breach" :D

Sorry Gregers - pulling up spelling and grammar is a bit of a cheap shot IME, but I couldn't resist that one!

When I was a youngster, people learnt through experience and from that came what used to be called 'common sense'.

Work related accidents.
construction.gif

It's too simplistic to give comparable figures anyway.
If it showed the number of accidents per, say 1000 people, it may be a reasonable comparison.
But it also doesn't allow any reflection of changes in techniques, materials, etc.
Nor does it show any comparison between industries, e.g the number of people inolved in manufacturing compared to agriculture.
It's not only manufacturing that has seen a large reduction in the number of workers employed, so has agriculture.

So as a bare reflection of H&S, it fails to show the real causes for the reduction in accidents, only one of which may be attributable to H&S.

From that graph, one could even argue that agriculture has always been the safest sector to be employed.

The irony of using the phrase "mother tongue", then "breech", rather than "breach" :D

Sorry Gregers - pulling up spelling and grammar is a bit of a cheap shot IME, but I couldn't resist that one!

np bridgedeer :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back