Advise about Old Potterton Central Heating Pump Removal!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Now before you laugh, yes I still have in my house the original Potterton Heating system from the 70's. As it has tanks in the loft, I assume its a gravity system. The problem is that radiators upstairs are perfect, but for the last week, the downstairs are cold. After reading these forums, Im sure it must be the pump as it doesn't make the kind of noise it used to!
I've attached several photos for you experts to study, including the diagram which is stuck on the Potterton door, I've marked in red where the pump is.
The pump is a SMC Comet 2-120F, what I'd like advise on is.. Are there direct replacements for this old pump, and if so, am I right in assuming that I need to drain the whole system, and undo the 4 bolts I've pointed out in the photos.
PLease any advise on if Im correct with the diagnosis of pump failure, and how to replace pumps.
Or am I totally off beat?

Thanks
GALLERY]

GALLERY]

GALLERY]

GALLERY]

GALLERY]

Sponsored Links
no.. you don't need to remove those bolts.
They are for the entire pump assembly and pump housing.

The four blue headed bolts will remove the pump motor.
Doing that will make things much easier (from what I can see)

Also, you may want to ring the manufcturer, or speak to a plumbing supplier about your pump. I heard that any SMC will fit, but I never trusted that information. calling them about it would be best.

as it happens, a more modern alternative pump would probably be better idea, as I assume, you do NOT want to pay these prices!!!

http://www.shop.lunns.net/smc-myson-comet-controller-2-pump---ex-stk-5612-p.asp

Thanks. I think your right, the pump looks easier to remove by taking out the bolts you mention. As for the pump, WoW thats expensive, I didn't think SMC were still making these?

Would I still need to drain all the water from the system before removing that front pump housing?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Might be a good idea to fit new pump on flow pipe to radiators, if it is difficult to replace in same place. Remove flex from old pump and wire to new pump.

What boiler is it? Kingfisher?

Daniel

would maybe call SMC and see if they can suggest a better alternative pump befor you buy anything..
If the pump was going to cost that much.. I would belooking at a new boiler (with guarente) for about £600...

Try SMC they may have a better pump for £60 (if you're lucky)

That SMC Pump has actually replaced a much older pump made by Sundstrand, those two bolt flanges are going to be a pain you may find that a CP Pumps Universal head will fit, whether or not you can get the pump isolation valves to operate to isolate the water to the pump is another story, personally I would not want to attempt it

The Boiler by the way is NOT a Kingfisher it is a much older Potterton Diplomat! ;)

thanks for the advise. I think I'll drain the system, would that be from a radiator downstairs? as I doubt the values will move. I will try and take the pump head off first and have a look, see if I can free up the pump, otherwise I'll hunt for a replacement pump... If all that fails a new boiler system may be in order. But was hoping the pump issue could be quick solution as its freezing downstairs now!!!!!!
thanks

you should find a drain cock on the boiler - you may well have some luck freeing the pump - There is a plumber on the forum in Herts. Andy from Hertsdrainage - should be an easy fit of a new pump for a man of his calibre ;) I`ve been looking into a new combi to replace my Potterton Kingfisher ( can`t DIY cuz I`m not gas safe :cry:) - anyway it`ll save me £100 a year apparently - Big Deal :LOL:

Would anyone recommend that I purchase a pump, but remove just the front housing, held on by 4 Hex bolt headsm I believe this holds all the electrics and the fan and motor part.
Are the placement of those Hex bolts standard, so for example if I buy one of the Grundfos or Tuff pumps and unscrew their front housing, I'm wondering will it bolt straight on to my current pump assembly. The reason I ask is everything is seized solid, from the top and bottom nuts holding the pump, as too are the lock values, so I'm gonna have no coice but to drain entire system.
Just hoping for a quick fix during this cold weather, then get system replaced in Spring.

What are your thoughts please? Are housings Hex all in same positions and will it just push on to my assembly?

thank you

Try giving the pump a few 'smart taps' with a small hammer on the pump body! and not the plastic bit! when the heating is on, it may only be jammed?

That pump is unlike modern ones and the impeller is not directly driven by a motor. The head of the pump is an electromagnet that spins a non contact impeller within the pump housing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back