Drain cover stuck

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I am not sure if anyone can help me. I have a stuck drain cover in the garden, which I can not pull up for the life of me. I have tried pulling with a variety of tools, including a crowbar. I have come to the conclusion that I have to use a product. Would anyone have any ideas? This is my last resort!

Many thanks indeed

Paddy

Sponsored Links
Suggest a photo of the drain cover would help a lot with likelihood of obtaining responses.

May also possibly want to consider posting or moving to building section if no joy in this section.

Sure, thanks for the tips. Will come back with photo tomorrow morning.

Sponsored Links
you have gone right around the edge with a knife blade to remove all the bits of dirt and grit that is causing it to bind?
Frank

A manhole handle with a bar trough it, a pile of bricks under one end of the bar, a car jack under the other end and jack it up slowly and carefully. It might need several attempts changing the position of the handle from one lifting point to the other after each attempt

I just had this problem, round Onion tank cover stuck after many years unmoved.
Septic Tank Man with screwdrivers and key handle -couldnt lift it .
I then spent Four hours cleaning joint with thin devices , sledge hammer all round, derusting joint with phosphoric acid screwdrivers and burglers 4 foot jemmy....all.no go.
returned in the evening with sledge and jemmy gently hammered the cemented bedding all round to break it up a bit. Inserted jemmy under outer ring and prised the whole lot up.
Careful not to fall into the nasty sight , I stood the lot up on its side and attacked te bottom of the lid with sledge , which eventually came free.

I could cement the old ring in place , after wire brushing the groove, but what new type would last another 15 years? with the odd farm tractor driving over it ?
let alone even 1 year, without sticking again ?
It seems there aren't any round 450 mm sets in stainless steel
But quite proud I got it open without breaking it up.

The comments demonstrate why copious amounts of manhole cover grease should be used on new installations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back