its a wheel shame!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am not sure if this is the quickest or easiest way to cut wheels but I wanted to try it anyway as my router table is heavy and needs to be more portable. I cut in 3 passes as 11mm ply, but managed to snap my first bit 😕. I think it might have been too thin a bit or I went too fast. All good experience.
I did cut last quarter of 2nd one with jigsaw after that.

Sponsored Links
If you do amything similar, set-out with a pencil compass first then cut round with a coping or jigsaw to within 2 or 3mm of the line. Gives your cutter a better change. BTW what diameter bit were you using, and what make?

I wish I had of done that, good plan. It was from 1/2' Trend cutter set from SF. 6.3mm, it did sound strange, I have heard you can learn from that! All good practice, I think I pushed to hard tbh. I did rip oak board after to make my door sample leaving about 2mm, then tried bottom guided trimmer for first time, great cutter that. Could of used hand plane but want to gain as much experience as possible with cutters.

Sponsored Links
It was from 1/2' Trend cutter set from SF. 6.3mm, it did sound strange, I have heard you can learn from that! All good practice, I think I pushed to hard tbh.
Sounds like it (pushed too hard). Yes, when you overload a cutter you can definitely hear it. As a general rule on safety, don't try to trim more than 1/2 the diameter off the edge of anything - so for 1 6mm cutter the maximum you want to be trimming is 3mm and so on

Just to say, if you have time, and / or want to be bothered, routing out "spokes" makes them look a lot more decorative. Couple of smaller circles of ply ( done with a hole saw) glued on the back, and a bit of pipe for a bush makes the whole thing more stable and long lasting.
OT slightly as always. I keep on meaning to have a go at making a proper spoked wooden wheel sometime, whether I ever will is another matter!

They would have done a job john, although would need brakes as needs to be sturdy.
yes, I see your point Jk, I watched someone on YT do it without trimming and he got away with it. I would rough it first and use trim bit next time i think.
Dave, that would look really cool, maybe if iget spare time i may experiment with that.For now, its functional.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back